Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low pH water on mains

Hello,

I am on mains water, but happen to have a low incoming pH of 6.7, maybe
6.8 at most. The water is very low in TDS, alkalinity, and iron and
manganese are within drinking regs. We have copper piping also.
Showering is uncomfortable, and the shower can get stained very easily
due to the acidity.

Is it worth treating such a level of water acidity? I had an AN before,
but the company that sold it to me had no idea what they were selling
me, and as a result, it was a disaster. I ended up with hard, hard
alkaline water that felt terrible and was unpotable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

None wrote:
Hello,

I am on mains water, but happen to have a low incoming pH of 6.7, maybe
6.8 at most. The water is very low in TDS, alkalinity, and iron and
manganese are within drinking regs. We have copper piping also.
Showering is uncomfortable, and the shower can get stained very easily
due to the acidity.

Is it worth treating such a level of water acidity? I had an AN before,
but the company that sold it to me had no idea what they were selling
me, and as a result, it was a disaster. I ended up with hard, hard
alkaline water that felt terrible and was unpotable.

LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people
would think your water is ideal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people
would think your water is ideal.

Well, do you have any idea what might cause problems in the supply?
Stuff in the pipes maybe ...bacteria etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

None wrote:
LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people
would think your water is ideal.

Well, do you have any idea what might cause problems in the supply?
Stuff in the pipes maybe ...bacteria etc?

I haven't heard a problem stated yet. Don't know
what showering is uncomfortable means. Too hot,
eats your skin, causes a rash? Shower stained
with what? Why would a stain be caused by acid,
which the water isn't at 6.8 pH.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
None wrote:
LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people
would think your water is ideal.

Well, do you have any idea what might cause problems in the supply?
Stuff in the pipes maybe ...bacteria etc?

I haven't heard a problem stated yet. Don't know
what showering is uncomfortable means. Too hot,
eats your skin, causes a rash? Shower stained
with what? Why would a stain be caused by acid,
which the water isn't at 6.8 pH.

The top of our sink is slanted in a way that it collects water. Water
that collects there, if there for a day or so develops a greenish
outline, which i presume is oxidated copper. I have never seen this in
any other house. Pink stains also occur quite frequently in the shower.
Surely even that level of acidity can cause pipe corrosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

None wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
None wrote:
LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people
would think your water is ideal.
Well, do you have any idea what might cause problems in the supply?
Stuff in the pipes maybe ...bacteria etc?

I haven't heard a problem stated yet. Don't know
what showering is uncomfortable means. Too hot,
eats your skin, causes a rash? Shower stained
with what? Why would a stain be caused by acid,
which the water isn't at 6.8 pH.

The top of our sink is slanted in a way that it collects water. Water
that collects there, if there for a day or so develops a greenish
outline, which i presume is oxidated copper. I have never seen this in
any other house. Pink stains also occur quite frequently in the shower.
Surely even that level of acidity can cause pipe corrosion.

You apparently have a problem but it isn't likely
due to the pH. A pH of 6.8 is higher than most
rainwater, even if you the air where you live is
pristine. The pH of even glass distilled water is
usually well below that of your water. I would
say your water is soft, but sure can't say how
you are getting green and pink stains; it isn't
likely to be copper corrosion.

I presume your data on the water chemistry is
based on water taken from a tap in your home and
not just utility company data. If it isn't from
your tap, then water supplies may be cross
connected somewhere upstream of your house or your
lines, and in that case you wouldn't know what the
chemistry might be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You apparently have a problem but it isn't likely
due to the pH. A pH of 6.8 is higher than most
rainwater, even if you the air where you live is
pristine. The pH of even glass distilled water is
usually well below that of your water. I would
say your water is soft, but sure can't say how
you are getting green and pink stains; it isn't
likely to be copper corrosion.

I presume your data on the water chemistry is
based on water taken from a tap in your home and
not just utility company data. If it isn't from
your tap, then water supplies may be cross
connected somewhere upstream of your house or your
lines, and in that case you wouldn't know what the
chemistry might be.

George,

I have a readout of parameters from when I had it tested a year or so
ago:

Iron: 0.076 mg/l
Manganese: 0.027 mg/l
Nitrates: 10.8 mg/l
pH: 6.7 (although it went as high as 6.88 apparently in
an upstairs tap)
Conductivity: 118
TDS: 79
Alkalinity: 29.2 mg/l
Hardness: 30 mg/l
Turbidity: 0.19

I'm no expert, do you know how water with this sort of chemistry might
behave in relation to the problems I reported?

Posted to alt.home.repair

None wrote:
[...]

Nope, don't have a clue. I don't see a problem
with any of the above. The problem may be with
some parameter not include in the test.