Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slimy mains water!

"None" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local
authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses
canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us
somehow....
what can I do??

Take a glass of water for the head honchos at the utility to drink If
they refuse, you've got a good case.

Bob

They have made their excuses for today, and wont be along again, now
they say tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I am not actually the last
house on the line. There are three others downstream of me, but we are
all very closely bunched together, so we are still very near to the
end hydrant, and the supply pipe is a very small one in any case. I
wont be getting any help from these neighbours though, as they really
dont seem to care about the problem, and have lived here for decades.
This has bred a strange sense of familiarity with this awful supply,
so when the water inspector does finally call in to me, I am sure he
will tell me that no neighbours reported problems when asked.
So despite the fact that something absolutely needs to be done, I will
probably be reliant on the water department being generous to the
needs of what they see as one complaint.

The "nobody else has complained" thing is one of the stupidest excuses on
earth, but it's a favorite of incompetent customer support people. Ignore
it.

Is it safe to assume that you've taken the ugliest possible sample someplace
to have it tested? You want this done by an independent lab. Your states
environmental agency should be able to help you find one. Or, get out the
yellow pages, find a home inspector and they should be able to help.