Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Precision of engineering helps bottom line (washer broke 2 wks out of warranty).

Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ignoramus4760 wrote:

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

Every moving part wears at some rate. Every part that wears will fail
at some point. Therefore, one piece of information that is _always_
included in the specification given to the engineering team at the
start of a project is a design lifetime. Without that there is no way
for the engineer to select materials, machining tolerances, surface
finishes, lubricants, etc.

FWIW, I recently had a garbage disposal fail two weeks before the
warranty ended. The company replaced it free including installation.
Sometimes you win and sometimes...

--
..Bill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ignoramus4760" wrote in message
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

I'd be amazed that the engineering could be that precise. As for the two
weeks contact your deal and they may cut you a break since it is that close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

On May 28, 8:24 pm, Ignoramus4760
I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, ...

Coincidence is just that...like most any other thing (except the
children in Lake Woebegone) for there to be an average lifetime, some
must be longer and some must be shorter.

Or, to put it in more scientific terms, "stuff happens"...

As Edwin says approach the retailer and hopefully they'll cut you a
break...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ignoramus4760" wrote in message
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

Go to HH Greg or such, find the Scratch & Dent stuff, pick the ugliest one,
have it delivered. Repeat every two years and thank the Democrats for
forcing Global Trade down our throats.
(Didn't you think I could turn the thread political?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ignoramus4760 wrote:
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

For this reason, I've determined that I will never buy another new
washer. I've got a service manual and intend to keep my 1981 Whirlpool
until I die. I've got a spare, though, a Maytag Performa that someone
tossed out when only 4 years old. It took 2.5 hours to fix it, no parts
needed.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:24:19 -0500, Ignoramus4760
wrote:

Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

or the biro knib you lost in the wash last night jambing it :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 29 May 2007 06:45:01 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

Ignoramus4760 wrote:
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

For this reason, I've determined that I will never buy another new
washer. I've got a service manual and intend to keep my 1981 Whirlpool
until I die. I've got a spare, though, a Maytag Performa that someone
tossed out when only 4 years old. It took 2.5 hours to fix it, no parts
needed.

Shoot, man. Just get yourself a scrub board and a galvanized bucket.
Last you the rest of your life.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
EXT EXT is offline

I had a Maytag dryer blow its circuit board 2 days before the warranty
expired, they came out and replaced it at no charge.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Ignoramus4760" wrote in message
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

I'd be amazed that the engineering could be that precise. As for the two
weeks contact your deal and they may cut you a break since it is that
close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ignoramus4760" wrote in message
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. Seems like pump does not work, there is a faint 60 Hz sound
from inside the washer when pump is supposed to pump, but no
pumping takes place.

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

The revenue stream is based on forcing you to buy another one:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/200...nsumer_pr.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Charles" writes:

The revenue stream is based on forcing you to buy another one:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/200...nsumer_pr.html

Hmm. The article says:

STAY FREE!: Do you have proof that it's intentional?

GILES SLADE: No, but there's currently a class-action lawsuit against
Apple in California, focused on the video screens being so easily
scratched. The same group filed a lawsuit about the battery life and
won a huge settlement from Apple.

There was a problem with the iPods, in that the battery life of the 3G
models was very short, and the battery would lose the ability to hold
a charge.

People would call up and ask how to repair it, and Apple said there
was no way, and the unit would have to be replaced after 18 months.

Well, people screamed, and now Apple will replace the battery for $45.

I found a site that would sell a kit to replace the battery with one
that had twice the capacity of the Apple battery for $25.

I suspect the problem was that Apple used the best battery they could
fit in the product that size. Trouble is, the best available wasn't
that good. Improvements have been made in the meantime. But did they
intentionally try to screw the comsumer? I'm not convinved.

The battery life is rumored to be an issue with the new iPhones. We
shall see. I think consumer demand often exceeds what's available.
If they wait another year, they lose sales and market share.

Now - Microsoft - that's definitely planned obsolescense. They make
most of their money in people buying new computers (not upgrades). If
a computer lasted 5 years, Microsoft would lose a lot of money.

And now they want us to buy the new hybrid drives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Maxwell Lol wrote:

Now - Microsoft - that's definitely planned obsolescense. They make
most of their money in people buying new computers (not upgrades). If
a computer lasted 5 years, Microsoft would lose a lot of money.

Microsoft would not lose a penny. They have a monopoly on the Windows
O/S market. If people start keeping their hardware for six years
instead of three MS will just increase the OEM price of Windows
accordingly and go happily on their way.

--
..Bill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Bill" wrote in message
Maxwell Lol wrote:

Now - Microsoft - that's definitely planned obsolescense. They make
most of their money in people buying new computers (not upgrades). If
a computer lasted 5 years, Microsoft would lose a lot of money.

Microsoft would not lose a penny. They have a monopoly on the Windows
O/S market. If people start keeping their hardware for six years
instead of three MS will just increase the OEM price of Windows
accordingly and go happily on their way.

Hell, I don't buy computers until they are three years old or so. For what I
do, trailing edge is fine. I just need enough horsepower to run a
still-supported OS. I have yet to pay over 300 bucks for a PC, including
upgrades I throw into it.

aem sends...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 30 May 2007 01:45:56 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
Hell, I don't buy computers until they are three years old or so. For what I
do, trailing edge is fine. I just need enough horsepower to run a
still-supported OS. I have yet to pay over 300 bucks for a PC, including
upgrades I throw into it.

And if you used Linux, you could go by with really crappy computers
that people are glad to give away. That's because Linux is more
efficient and is not a resource pig. Plus, it is secure and is, more
or less, immune to most trojans and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 28, 6:24 pm, Ignoramus4760
wrote:
Just two weeks after warranty on our G.E. Profile washer expired, it
broke. ...
I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue"

Maybe, maybe not. With minor repair, could last another decade.
The sound/no action could be just a slipped-off belt. Investigate
and correct, or get a repairman in. Theorizing about engineering
strategies and who-makes-a-profit isn't getting the clothes washed.

In a perfect world, one could find a quality product and be loyal to
the manufacturer. Here and now, it's near impossible. That
great pair of shoes from four years ago? Not available in that
'model' anymore. The stereo that worked so well? Company
was bought out. Vacuum cleaner that was so convenient? New
model is built on completely different principles (and there's a
$50 set of filters that needs annual replacement).

At least the manufacturer still stands behind my Betamax. And
DOS 3.2 works like it always did. Not.

Go ahead and let the manufacturer sell you parts. And pay the
service person. It won't make the service guy rich, nor break you.
After the year of warranty, when maintenance sets in, the
responsible party is... you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Gary Brady" wrote:
For this reason, I've determined that I will never buy another new washer.
I've got a service manual and intend to keep my 1981 Whirlpool until I
die. I've got a spare, though, a Maytag Performa that someone tossed out
when only 4 years old. It took 2.5 hours to fix it, no parts needed.

Yep, same here. I recently had an opportunity to pick up a two year old
washer for a song and a dance, but I decided to keep my late 70's Kenmore
(rebadged Whirlpool) instead. I replaced the water pump in it about 15
years ago, and it shows no sign of slowing down - the thing is built like a
tank.. I've seen new ones leaking transmission fluid straight from the
factory - NO THANKS!

They really don't make 'em like they used to.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I've seen new ones leaking transmission fluid straight from the factory -
NO THANKS!

They really don't make 'em like they used to.

Even worse on new dishwashers. Those damned vinyl pump boots _always_
perforate in two to four years.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I have the 1977 Kenmore ( Whirlpool) and I never even had to change the
pump. 2 months ago I did have to change the drive belt, I was mildly peeved
that it only lasted 30 years ) I do however have to take the pump apart
every 6 months to remove lint as I removed the lint filter after the 3rd one
broke ( replaced with a 49 cent PVC elbow). The good news is that the pump
CAN be dismantled, the new ones are fused so you can't take it apart. How
about those tools that had a command in the firmware to kill the tool after
so many cycles? Not sure if this scandal was for a tool or an appliance.

Show me anything new and I will pin point with a high degree of confidence
where the obsolescence is planned. The weak links are now so flagrant that
it's obvious that they couldn't care less if we know.

Real sad news this past month. Maytag had the gall to pull out the lonely
Maytag repair man. Pffffttttt I guess it's not everyone who reads Consumer
Reports ( awesome magazine by the way.) They are now topping the recal lists
( that's right, more than one appliance. )

Claude
Montreal.