Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bill Bill is offline

Default Precision of engineering helps bottom line (washer broke 2 wks out of warranty).

Ignoramus4760 wrote:

I find this "coincidence" an evidence for intentional design where
stuff is made to break after warranty, for extra "revenue" to be made
on easy repairs and parts.

Every moving part wears at some rate. Every part that wears will fail
at some point. Therefore, one piece of information that is _always_
included in the specification given to the engineering team at the
start of a project is a design lifetime. Without that there is no way
for the engineer to select materials, machining tolerances, surface
finishes, lubricants, etc.

FWIW, I recently had a garbage disposal fail two weeks before the
warranty ended. The company replaced it free including installation.
Sometimes you win and sometimes...

--
..Bill.