Tin Man

Default H2o line broke--Help/Advice on cleaning machines

Good morning all, except for I.

Washing machine line ruptured, you know the rest. Very light rust color on lathe bed and table bed on planer. So far I have cleaned up the water then using a fine grade steel wool and some 3 in 1 oil rubbed down the surfaces, cleaned up with rag really well then spread small amount of same oil and wiped it in really well and cleaned well. Wanting to know if I attacked this the correct way. Does anyone have any input as to some other way to prevent the rust from becoming a future problem. It looks fine now and has been sitting for a while. When water first cleaned up it didn't take long for rust to appear on surface. It seems to be keeping it's original look except for some light discoloration.

Painted surfaces on the DVR 3000 are OK. Does anyone know if the underside (mounting legs) are a machined surface. If so I will have to dismount and clean as well. Trying to avoid, I'm alone and it's heavy.

Wondering about the Jet planer as well, I've gotten the obvious. Anyone know of hidden places that would be suspectable.
Thanks in advance to any and all replies.
Richard O'
ken grunke

Tin Man wrote:
[...]

WD-40 will displace water, just shoot it into the inaccessable spots
with the red tube nozzle supplied.

Personally, I don't like to use oil on cast iron woodworking tools, at
least the surfaces that the project wood will contact.

My table saw, jointer, and lathe have developed a nice dark patina over
the years which seems to form a protective layer--almost like fighting
fire with fire.

Ken Grunke