Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Bathroom Tile layout question

Suppose my two long walls are just under 10' (115.5" to be exact).

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2. What is the rule? Should I do
it that way or should I do 10 full tiles and a cut tile on each end (7.5" on one side and 7.5" on
the other)? Of course, there will be a small graut line (probably 1/16") so, there would be a 1/2 of
graut total on the wall.

How about floor to ceiling? 8 ' = 96". Tiles are 14" high. I can fit 6 full tiles and have 10" left
over. And there will be a 2.5" listello around the 5.5' high mark.

Any input will be greatfly appreciated. I want to be armed with some knowledge when the next
installer attempts to do this.

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony writes:

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2.
What is the rule?

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile width on
each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:15:45 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Suppose my two long walls are just under 10' (115.5" to be exact).

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2. What is the rule? Should I do
it that way or should I do 10 full tiles and a cut tile on each end (7.5" on one side and 7.5" on
the other)? Of course, there will be a small graut line (probably 1/16") so, there would be a 1/2 of
graut total on the wall.

How about floor to ceiling? 8 ' = 96". Tiles are 14" high. I can fit 6 full tiles and have 10" left
over. And there will be a 2.5" listello around the 5.5' high mark.

Any input will be greatfly appreciated. I want to be armed with some knowledge when the next
installer attempts to do this.

Tony

You use smaller designer tile all around all 4 sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 03:05:23 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Tony writes:

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2.
What is the rule?

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile width on
each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the gerneral rule?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 23, 10:15 pm, Tony wrote:
Suppose my two long walls are just under 10' (115.5" to be exact).

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2. What is the rule? Should I do
it that way or should I do 10 full tiles and a cut tile on each end (7.5" on one side and 7.5" on
the other)? Of course, there will be a small graut line (probably 1/16") so, there would be a 1/2 of
graut total on the wall.

How about floor to ceiling? 8 ' = 96". Tiles are 14" high. I can fit 6 full tiles and have 10" left
over. And there will be a 2.5" listello around the 5.5' high mark.

Any input will be greatfly appreciated. I want to be armed with some knowledge when the next
installer attempts to do this.

Typically on a blank wall the installation would begin centering full
tiles in the middle and running both directions to make an even cut on
each end. With other obstacles, consideration for them needs to be
made and it may make more sense to follow them rather than the larger
wall itself. Every situation is different and needs adjustment for
the circumstances.

As I posted in the previous thread on the subject, Fine Homebuilding
had a nice article in it's Winter Baths & Kitchen volume with a couple
of examples discussed/illustrated that covered the basics quite
nicely. Look for the article on their web site -- I don't recall link
to FH, but you can start at www.taunton.com and follow the links...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony writes:

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile
width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the
gerneral rule?

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize
small pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:23:00 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Tony writes:

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile
width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the
gerneral rule?

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize
small pieces.

What would you do in this case

The back wall is 5' and is where the bathtub is. I am able to fit 6 10(W)x14(H) tiles prefectly but
unfortunately, there is a window that makes that difficult because it is about 11" from the right.
So, if I were to use 6 full tiles across, there will be a 1" sliver to the right of the window,
which I do not want.

The other option is to start in the middle and put a half tile on each end. How do you think that
would look?

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tony writes:

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile
width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the
gerneral rule?

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize
small pieces.

What would you do in this case

The back wall is 5' and is where the bathtub is. I am able to fit 6 10(W)x14(H) tiles prefectly but
unfortunately, there is a window that makes that difficult because it is about 11" from the right.
So, if I were to use 6 full tiles across, there will be a 1" sliver to the right of the window,
which I do not want.

The other option is to start in the middle and put a half tile on each end. How do you think that
would look?

I reiterate -- go look at the article I've pointed you to -- it has
discussion and examples of what you're asking that you can look at and
read what a pro says...

The other answer is to draw out sample layouts to visual how it will
look...that really should have been the first step before you ever
even bought the material once you decided on the tile. Then you can
supply the mechanic an installation plan that does detail the basics.
He'll have to make minor adjustments for out-of-plumb/square/level,
but the overall plan should be adequate to avoid the previous kinds of
foo-pahs you described.

That kind of detail is, of course, what you get if you hire the
professionals who _really_ know what they're doing to begin with
instead of trying on the cheap...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, dpb says...

Tony writes:

[...]

Well, I know big tile is in style right now, but unless it's a really big
bathroom, these tile are way too big to begin with IMO to look much good.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 24, 3:41 pm, Banty wrote:
In article . com, dpb says...

Tony writes:

[...]

I'd tend to agree, but certainly a plan of how to install would go a
long way to answering it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tony writes:

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile
width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the
gerneral rule?

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize
small pieces.

What would you do in this case

The back wall is 5' and is where the bathtub is. I am able to fit 6
10(W)x14(H) tiles prefectly but unfortunately, there is a window that
makes that difficult because it is about 11" from the right. So, if I
were to use 6 full tiles across, there will be a 1" sliver to the right
of the window, which I do not want.

The other option is to start in the middle and put a half tile on each
end. How do you think that would look?

Tony

In addition to the other replies here don't forget to fill your bath
before tiling. If you fix tiles over an empty bath, when you eventually
fill it the bottom tiles may come away or the grout will crack.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

the other English teams put together :-)