Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Another Bathroom Tile layout question

In article . com, dpb says...

On May 24, 12:34 pm, Tony wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:23:00 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Tony writes:

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile
width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the
gerneral rule?

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize
small pieces.

What would you do in this case

The back wall is 5' and is where the bathtub is. I am able to fit 6 10(W)x14(H)
tiles prefectly but
unfortunately, there is a window that makes that difficult because it is about
11" from the right.
So, if I were to use 6 full tiles across, there will be a 1" sliver to the right
of the window,
which I do not want.

The other option is to start in the middle and put a half tile on each end. How
do you think that
would look?

I reiterate -- go look at the article I've pointed you to -- it has
discussion and examples of what you're asking that you can look at and
read what a pro says...

The other answer is to draw out sample layouts to visual how it will
look...that really should have been the first step before you ever
even bought the material once you decided on the tile. Then you can
supply the mechanic an installation plan that does detail the basics.
He'll have to make minor adjustments for out-of-plumb/square/level,
but the overall plan should be adequate to avoid the previous kinds of
foo-pahs you described.

That kind of detail is, of course, what you get if you hire the
professionals who _really_ know what they're doing to begin with
instead of trying on the cheap...

Well, I know big tile is in style right now, but unless it's a really big
bathroom, these tile are way too big to begin with IMO to look much good.

Banty