Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Another Bathroom Tile layout question

On May 23, 10:15 pm, Tony wrote:
Suppose my two long walls are just under 10' (115.5" to be exact).

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2. What is the rule? Should I do
it that way or should I do 10 full tiles and a cut tile on each end (7.5" on one side and 7.5" on
the other)? Of course, there will be a small graut line (probably 1/16") so, there would be a 1/2 of
graut total on the wall.

How about floor to ceiling? 8 ' = 96". Tiles are 14" high. I can fit 6 full tiles and have 10" left
over. And there will be a 2.5" listello around the 5.5' high mark.

Any input will be greatfly appreciated. I want to be armed with some knowledge when the next
installer attempts to do this.

Typically on a blank wall the installation would begin centering full
tiles in the middle and running both directions to make an even cut on
each end. With other obstacles, consideration for them needs to be
made and it may make more sense to follow them rather than the larger
wall itself. Every situation is different and needs adjustment for
the circumstances.

As I posted in the previous thread on the subject, Fine Homebuilding
had a nice article in it's Winter Baths & Kitchen volume with a couple
of examples discussed/illustrated that covered the basics quite
nicely. Look for the article on their web site -- I don't recall link
to FH, but you can start at www.taunton.com and follow the links...