Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom tile question

Hi everyone,

I am remodeling a bathroom in the cellar of my home and I was hoping
someone could give me some advice about tile. The bathroom is not very
large; maybe 10 feet long and 5 feet wide (the whrilpool takes up about
3 feet of the length)... Anyway, I am planning on putting dark
imperador marble in this bathroom but I am not sure if I should tile
the walls as well. If I have the walls tiled and go half way up with
them, with regular sheetrock above that, I am worried that the bathroom
will look extremely boxed in. Does anyone ever tile only the floor and
the area surrounding the tub and leave the rest of the walls
un-tiled... Its funny, I usually have millions of ideas, but I am king
of stumped by this one... One more thing I ought to say, the ceiling in
this bathroom is rather low... Just a few inches over 6 feet.

Sincerely, Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mirrored surfaces give an illusion of space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Thank you both for responding. I have thought about mirrored surfaces,
but how exactly would it be applied in a bathroom situation. I mean, I
know that the mirror that will be above the vanity goes without saying,
but how else could it be used?

Sincerely, Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dont even think about regular sheetrock in a bathroom. Common sense and
many building codes these days require moisture resistant and mold
resistant drywall (greenboard). You'll be glad you did it that way.

Joe,

Actually, it is greenboard along with rockboard around the tub.. I've
thought about water damage as another poster mentioned, but it is a
very large basement and we don't have that kind of problem here.

Anthony