DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bathroom tile question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/186937-bathroom-tile-question.html)

[email protected] December 25th 06 02:20 AM

Bathroom tile question

Hi everyone,

I am remodeling a bathroom in the cellar of my home and I was hoping
someone could give me some advice about tile. The bathroom is not very
large; maybe 10 feet long and 5 feet wide (the whrilpool takes up about
3 feet of the length)... Anyway, I am planning on putting dark
imperador marble in this bathroom but I am not sure if I should tile
the walls as well. If I have the walls tiled and go half way up with
them, with regular sheetrock above that, I am worried that the bathroom
will look extremely boxed in. Does anyone ever tile only the floor and
the area surrounding the tub and leave the rest of the walls
un-tiled... Its funny, I usually have millions of ideas, but I am king
of stumped by this one... One more thing I ought to say, the ceiling in
this bathroom is rather low... Just a few inches over 6 feet.

Sincerely, Anthony

[email protected] December 25th 06 03:56 AM

Bathroom tile question

Mirrored surfaces give an illusion of space.

DerbyDad03 December 25th 06 04:05 AM

Bathroom tile question

mravenez asked:

Does anyone ever tile only the floor and the area surrounding the tub
and leave the rest of the walls un-tiled?

Sure...it's very common. That's why they make those bullnosed border
tiles. Leaves a nice transition from the tiled portion to the plain
wall surface.

[email protected] December 25th 06 04:16 AM

Bathroom tile question

Hi,

Thank you both for responding. I have thought about mirrored surfaces,
but how exactly would it be applied in a bathroom situation. I mean, I
know that the mirror that will be above the vanity goes without saying,
but how else could it be used?

Sincerely, Anthony

[email protected] December 25th 06 12:56 PM

Bathroom tile question

wrote:
Hi,

Thank you both for responding. I have thought about mirrored surfaces,
but how exactly would it be applied in a bathroom situation. I mean, I
know that the mirror that will be above the vanity goes without saying,
but how else could it be used?

Sincerely, Anthony

Don;t know about the conditons of your basement, but for any basement
where flooding is a possibility, and that's most basements, I'd factor
that in before I went with marble and extra tile. If it floods either
from ground water or a burst water heater, it's just more costly damage
to repair. Also, for resale value, I think extra money spent on a
basement bathroom trying to make it look fancy isn't going to increase
value anywhere near what it costs.

DerbyDad03 December 25th 06 01:45 PM

Bathroom tile question

Another thing to consider is a pedestal sink instead of a vanity. If
you can live without the counter space a pedestal sink opens up a small
bathroom considerably.

I gotta give the wife credit for this one. I didn't think a pedestal
would work for us, but with the addition of an antique telephone table
next to a pedestal sink in our 6 x 8 bathroom, we have enough room for
stuff and the room seems a lot more open than with the old vanity.

Joe December 25th 06 06:45 PM

Bathroom tile question

wrote:
Hi everyone,

snip

If I have the walls tiled and go half way up with
them, with regular sheetrock above that,

snip

Dont even think about regular sheetrock in a bathroom. Common sense and
many building codes these days require moisture resistant and mold
resistant drywall (greenboard). You'll be glad you did it that way.

Joe

[email protected] December 25th 06 08:35 PM

Bathroom tile question

Dont even think about regular sheetrock in a bathroom. Common sense and
many building codes these days require moisture resistant and mold
resistant drywall (greenboard). You'll be glad you did it that way.

Joe,

Actually, it is greenboard along with rockboard around the tub.. I've
thought about water damage as another poster mentioned, but it is a
very large basement and we don't have that kind of problem here.

Anthony