Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom wall tile question

I went to a tile store who offered free installation with the purchase of 200 sq/ft or more, After
paying for it, I started to gut my bathroom. Someone from the tile store came to measure and look at
the bathroom and told me that the floor had to be mudded and if they didnt do it, they would not
guarantee the tile. Since they only are charging $120, I told them they can do it. I went out and
bought Durock cement board for the shower and Georgia Pacific mousture and moisture resistant board.
I thought it was Lowe's version of Home Depot's green board.

Anyway, I paid a guy to come over and rock the bathroom and when he saw the board, he asked me if
the yellow side faces in or out. I have no idea about this stuff. His instict was that the white
part should face out because they are sold in pairs (a plastic tape holds them together on the
edges) and he figured the white side were on the inside so they would be protected. We called a
mutual friend, who said that whenever he saw yellow board, it was on the outside. Long story short,
the guy finished the entire bathroom (walls and ceiling) with the yellow out.

Today, someone told me that the yellow side definitely faces in. I called Georgia Pacific and they
said the yellow side faces in and and they cannot recommend tiling over the yellow side because only
the white side was tested.

So, I am freaking out. I am about to rip it all out because I do not want tiles falling off because
of this. Has anyone ever used this stuff before? Here is what I bought.DensArmor Plus® Interior
Drywall

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx...9&hierarchy=pc

Am I completely screwed????
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 4, 11:54 pm, Tony wrote:

snip

Am I completely screwed????

Sure sounds like it. Wallboard is usually shipped in paired sheets
with the 'good side' inside, easily determined by the tapered long
edges. Your wallboard pro should have known this seems to me. The
manufacturer could also have made life easier for users of this new
product by plastering a little warning sticker on the outside with
instructions. Sheets of OSB carry instructions in this fashion to make
the product installation perform as expected.
Sorry for your loss.

Joe