Posted to alt.home.repair
jawhaley

Default Fill Gaps between bathroom tile and wall where base boards used to be

While repainting our bathroom I pulled up the base boards to find that
whoever tiled, tiled up to the base boards and grouted to the base boards.
I would like to fill in this gap and place new base boards over the tile
and fill in in order to make it easier next time I paint. I have heard
grouting to the wall or possibly using something called "thin Set" What
would you recommend.

Thanks for any help,
jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
Newfie

Jason,

If your new base boards are te same thickness of the old ones, simply
fill in the space between the tile and the wall with thin set. Thin
set is really just tile adhesive. Then lay your base boards.

jawhaley wrote:
While repainting our bathroom I pulled up the base boards to find that
whoever tiled, tiled up to the base boards and grouted to the base boards.
I would like to fill in this gap and place new base boards over the tile
and fill in in order to make it easier next time I paint. I have heard
grouting to the wall or possibly using something called "thin Set" What
would you recommend.

Thanks for any help,
jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

You can use silicone caulk to fill in the gap between the floor and
baseboard too. Use latex painters caulk to fill in the gap between the
baseboard and the wall so that it is paintable or use Acrylic caulk for both
spots (paintable and waterproof).

Use thinset only to fill in a large void you need to be solid. it is
basically fine mortar.

oups.com...