Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has Anyone *Successfully* Painted Formica Countertops?

Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find anything
that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:39 pm, wrote:
Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find anything
that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

we once did a kitchen linoleum top with primer and paint. it
immediately looked cheap when new. it wore thru and looked worse
within the year.
consider the durability and look you seek.
remember the worse you make that room look the sooner you will get the
urge to remodel the whole room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i wouldn't do it

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find anything
that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

Spraying will eliminate the brush/roller marks that may be hard
otherwise to really completely eliminate. I wouldn't suggest the poly
for a counter, though -- it's awfully soft and tends to get sticky
easy. _IF_ you were insistent, I'd use one of the clear epoxies over
the paint for durability, but by the time you're done the cost would
likely be near that of new laminate.

If you're serious about refinishing a countertop rather than replacing
it, I'd suggest calling one of the repair/refinishing services--
they're not perfect certainly but they do have the epoxies that are
the most likely to be of some success for a while. Also, if you get
one who's at least reasonably competent he/she might just point you to
whether the idea is a good/bad one or not.

All in all, it can be done but rarely is truly cost-effective adequate
solution...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

Have you considered having your countertop covered with a
new layer of Formica? They glue it right over the old.

Just a thought.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find anything
that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

I wouldn't do it, it's not worth it. Check out the price of
countertops from the local big box, my guess is that it wouldn't cost
that much more to purchase and install new...plus it'll look a lot
better. If you put new on, paint the front edge of the counter top to
keep water from trashing the particle board substrate...nearly every
counter top that I've had eventually has a flaky crumbly front edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in
oups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

A countertop is going to routinely take "abuse" that even an epoxy paint
will not take. Scratches,stains,......

IMO,a big waste of time and money.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find anything
that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

Having done a lot of work in apartment complexes, I got to see
alot of the countertop painting. It looks real good until the
paint dries, then it looks real cheap. But it seems to last
at least a month before it starts wearing through and
scratching and coming off.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
dpb wrote in
oups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

I agree- they did that to several of the counters in the cans at work, good
careful expoxy job, and it lasted less than 2 years before it got scrubbed
through. Might last longer at home, where it doesn't get scrubbed as often.
But laminate vanity counters are so cheap, why bother? Just rip the old one
out, take to counter place, and say 'make me one just like this.'

aem sends....

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:12 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

wrote

Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

Have you considered having your countertop covered with a
new layer of Formica? They glue it right over the old.

Just a thought.

nancy

I agree. Don't remove the old top, just put the new right over the
old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
dpb wrote in
oups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not just from scrubbing,but from scrapes from pots or other things dragged
across it,things dropped on the surface,chipping it,hot pans or plates.

But laminate vanity counters are so cheap, why
bother? Just rip the old one out, take to counter place, and say 'make
me one just like this.'

Or take the opportuninty to get a better countertop surface.
Solid surface,concrete,stone....

Laminates,he could MAKE a new CT himself.

IMO,it would be worth it in the long run,make your house a bit more salable
if you decide to sell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 2:57 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote :

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
dpb wrote in
groups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

After reading all of the posts (past and present) I'm just gonna leave
it for now.

The person that I bought the house from, installed a new *maroon*
colored jacuzzi tub, in a bathroom with a *blue* countertop! Now how
dumb is that?????

I had to do several repairs on the house, including a new heat pump,
and a new set of exterior french doors, so I'm out of money for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:51:32 -0500, DK wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:12 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

wrote

Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

Have you considered having your countertop covered with a
new layer of Formica? They glue it right over the old.

Just a thought.

nancy

I agree. Don't remove the old top, just put the new right over the
old.

I agree.. and if you have a fine tooth skill saw or table saw.. and a
router.. maybe even a dremel with router type bit.. it's not a hard
job. Follow instructions on using contact cement.
You simply install new formica.. then remove the parts you don't want
with rotozip, dremel or router..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
oups.com:

On May 24, 2:57 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
dpb wrote in
groups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

Maybe they were colorblind. (Or high...)

BLUE would have been hard to cover with an epoxy paint,anyways.

I had to do several repairs on the house, including a new heat pump,
and a new set of exterior french doors, so I'm out of money for now.

A bathroom!;that would be much easier to DIY than a kitchen CT.
(and a bathroom will take less abuse than a kitchen CT)

I'd just laminate a new Formica layer over the old.It's not THAT
hard.(famous last words...)

Having a trim router will help a lot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck (in SC)" wrote in
:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:51:32 -0500, DK wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:12 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

wrote

Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

Have you considered having your countertop covered with a
new layer of Formica? They glue it right over the old.

Just a thought.

nancy

I agree. Don't remove the old top, just put the new right over the
old.

I agree.. and if you have a fine tooth skill saw or table saw.. and a
router.. maybe even a dremel with router type bit.. it's not a hard
job. Follow instructions on using contact cement.
You simply install new formica.. then remove the parts you don't want
with rotozip, dremel or router..
Chuck (in SC)

you really need a flush-trim bit for the router or Rotozip(1/4" shank),I do
not believe such a bit exists for a Dremel(1/8" shank).

Of course,you can get a 1/4" trim router from Harbor Freight for $20,on
sale.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik