Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Has Anyone *Successfully* Painted Formica Countertops?

"aemeijers" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
dpb wrote in
oups.com:

On May 22, 10:39 pm, wrote:
Would like to paint a double sink Formica countertop in a bathroom,
has anyone had any success at this?

I've looked through past posts to this group, but didn't find
anything that was really conclusive.

I found this on Google, but not to keen on the spray paint part.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

Spraying will eliminate the brush/roller marks that may be hard
otherwise to really completely eliminate. I wouldn't suggest the
poly for a counter, though -- it's awfully soft and tends to get
sticky easy. _IF_ you were insistent, I'd use one of the clear
epoxies over the paint for durability, but by the time you're done
the cost would likely be near that of new laminate.

If you're serious about refinishing a countertop rather than
replacing it, I'd suggest calling one of the repair/refinishing
services-- they're not perfect certainly but they do have the
epoxies that are the most likely to be of some success for a while.
Also, if you get one who's at least reasonably competent he/she
might just point you to whether the idea is a good/bad one or not.

All in all, it can be done but rarely is truly cost-effective
adequate solution...

A countertop is going to routinely take "abuse" that even an epoxy
paint will not take. Scratches,stains,......

IMO,a big waste of time and money.

I agree- they did that to several of the counters in the cans at work,
good careful expoxy job, and it lasted less than 2 years before it got
scrubbed through. Might last longer at home, where it doesn't get
scrubbed as often.

Not just from scrubbing,but from scrapes from pots or other things dragged
across it,things dropped on the surface,chipping it,hot pans or plates.

But laminate vanity counters are so cheap, why
bother? Just rip the old one out, take to counter place, and say 'make
me one just like this.'

Or take the opportuninty to get a better countertop surface.
Solid surface,concrete,stone....

Laminates,he could MAKE a new CT himself.

IMO,it would be worth it in the long run,make your house a bit more salable
if you decide to sell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik