Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Has Anyone *Successfully* Painted Formica Countertops?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
wrote in
oups.com:

(snip)

The person that I bought the house from, installed a new *maroon*
colored jacuzzi tub, in a bathroom with a *blue* countertop! Now how
dumb is that?????

Maybe they were colorblind. (Or high...)

BLUE would have been hard to cover with an epoxy paint,anyways.

I had to do several repairs on the house, including a new heat pump,
and a new set of exterior french doors, so I'm out of money for now.

A bathroom!;that would be much easier to DIY than a kitchen CT.
(and a bathroom will take less abuse than a kitchen CT)

I'd just laminate a new Formica layer over the old.It's not THAT
hard.(famous last words...)

Having a trim router will help a lot.

If it was a premade top, I'd bet it has the kitchen-style rolled backsplash
and front lip. (I haven't seen any old-style exposed-joint counters in the
supply houses in years.) No way I know of to field-apply laminate over that
and make it look right.

aem sends....