David Walthall

Default BRAG: successfully sharpened gouge

I know, a lot of people have sharped gouges before. I, in fact, have
done so many times in the past. The joy of this one was that I
managed to sharpen it in one pass, perfectly, without a jig. I used
one smooth motion and ended up with gleaming metal across the entire
bevel of the gouge, one facet. As I looked at it, I wished that I
still had access to the Tormek that my old woodshop class had, and
thought of taking a picture. In the end, I admired it for a second
and went back to the lathe. It didn't cut any better than my
multi-faceted sharpenings did.

David
George

Default successfully sharpened gouge

Lot of puzzling things about sharpening. You would figure with high speed
steel, low speed grinder and soft bond wheels you should be able to position
the bevel by feel alone, as if you were honing on a flat stone.

As to cutting, it's a paradox. The narrow cut cares less about a regular
edge than the broad, which makes a worse cut anyway, so why worry about
"facets" you only see.

At least that's how I do both. It's wrong, as I have been told more than
once, but the shavings flow....

"David Walthall" wrote in message
I know, a lot of people have sharped gouges before. I, in fact, have
done so many times in the past. The joy of this one was that I
managed to sharpen it in one pass, perfectly, without a jig. I used
one smooth motion and ended up with gleaming metal across the entire
bevel of the gouge, one facet. As I looked at it, I wished that I
still had access to the Tormek that my old woodshop class had, and
thought of taking a picture. In the end, I admired it for a second
and went back to the lathe. It didn't cut any better than my
multi-faceted sharpenings did.

David

Ken Moon

"George" wrote in message
----- SNIP ---------------
At least that's how I do both. It's wrong, as I have been told more than
once, but the shavings flow....

********************************
That's the main thing. You can argue single vs multi facets, concave vs
convex, high speed vs slow grinders, 6 in vs 8 in wheel, and all the other
variables, but the thing is to get a tool that you can use to get a clean
cut in a reasonable amount of time. If you have a solution that works for
you, then be happy with it and don't worry about how "everyone else does
it".

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

James E Gaydos

David Walthall wrote in message . ..
I know, a lot of people have sharped gouges before. I, in fact, have
done so many times in the past. The joy of this one was that I
managed to sharpen it in one pass, perfectly, without a jig. I used
one smooth motion and ended up with gleaming metal across the entire
bevel of the gouge, one facet. As I looked at it, I wished that I
still had access to the Tormek that my old woodshop class had, and
thought of taking a picture. In the end, I admired it for a second
and went back to the lathe. It didn't cut any better than my
multi-faceted sharpenings did.

David

Congratulations David,
You have unlock the secret to a problem that never was.
Jim