Bob Darrah

Default Can walnut be microwaved dry successfully?

I am interested in getting some walnut for boxes and would like to rough
turn it and then dry in the microwave to dry it like I do cherry. Is there
anything special about doing this with walnut that I should know?

Bob Darrah

joaz

"Bob Darrah" wrote in message ...
I am interested in getting some walnut for boxes and would like to rough
turn it and then dry in the microwave to dry it like I do cherry. Is there
anything special about doing this with walnut that I should know?

Bob Darrah

There is only one way to find out[:
George

It can, but as microwaving is steaming (from the inside), you'll lose
character and color in the wood. Walnut is steamed commercially to color
the sapwood closer to the heart color, but it's still softer, so I'd rather
trim.

Of course, if you like steamed cherry - which I don't - you may feel all
right with it.

"joaz" wrote in message
m...