Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New countertop for kitchen sink

Hello,
I will be replacing a badly deteriorating countertop for a kitchen
sink in an old trailer house we own as a getaway on a small lake. The
double sink is in ok condition to reuse I think. I went to Home Depot
and bought about the right size formica countertop that would fit the
space. Now I need to mark and cut out the opening in the countertop
for the double sink. I was wondering if anyone could give me any
pointers in doing this correctly so I don't end up wishing I had hired
someone else to do it right. Again, it is for an old 1970's vintage
trailer house so I'm not all that much concerned with getting a
flawless job. I will be basically tearing out the whole counter
including lower cabinet frame which included several drawers and a few
larger doors and inner shelves. The whole thing measured about 8 ft
long by 2 feet wide by about 3 feet high.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I will be replacing a badly deteriorating countertop for a kitchen
sink in an old trailer house we own as a getaway on a small lake. The
double sink is in ok condition to reuse I think. I went to Home Depot
and bought about the right size formica countertop that would fit the
space. Now I need to mark and cut out the opening in the countertop
for the double sink. I was wondering if anyone could give me any
pointers in doing this correctly so I don't end up wishing I had hired
someone else to do it right.

Lay the old counter on top of the new one and trace the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Apr 26, 7:27 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello,
I will be replacing a badly deteriorating countertop for a kitchen
sink in an old trailer house we own as a getaway on a small lake. The
double sink is in ok condition to reuse I think. I went to Home Depot
and bought about the right size formica countertop that would fit the
space. Now I need to mark and cut out the opening in the countertop
for the double sink. I was wondering if anyone could give me any
pointers in doing this correctly so I don't end up wishing I had hired
someone else to do it right.

Lay the old counter on top of the new one and trace the hole.

And use a downcutting blade in your jigsaw to minimize chipout. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Apr 26, 7:27 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
| "Steve" wrote in message
|
| oups.com...
|
| Hello,
| I will be replacing a badly deteriorating countertop for a kitchen
| sink in an old trailer house we own as a getaway on a small lake.
The
| double sink is in ok condition to reuse I think. I went to Home
Depot
| and bought about the right size formica countertop that would fit
the
| space. Now I need to mark and cut out the opening in the
countertop
| for the double sink. I was wondering if anyone could give me any
| pointers in doing this correctly so I don't end up wishing I had
hired
| someone else to do it right.
|
| Lay the old counter on top of the new one and trace the hole.
|
| And use a downcutting blade in your jigsaw to minimize chipout. Tom

correct way for sink installation in laminate top.

use blue painters tape around perimeter where sink will be cut out.
lay sink upside down, place in position on countertop.
measure twice..........cut once.
trace perimeter of sink with pencil.
lift sink up.
measure 5/16" inward (towards sink center) from original trace mark and
connect marks.
measure twice..........cut once.
drill 4 corners with desired paddle bit w/spurs.
cut countertop with jigsaw (w/downward tooth laminate cutting blade as
tom said)

TIP
cut front and back first
screw a piece of scrap to the sink cutout (in center) overlapping the
countertop.
now cut the sides.
the scrap piece will stop the cut out from falling into the hole.

leave a minimum of 2 1/2 in. in front of sink.
and make sure faucet fits behind sink before cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 4:02 am, "3G" wrote:
"tom" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for the good tips!