Julie

Default Can I tile my countertop, and undermount a sink?

I apologize if this is too obviously, "no way". But:

I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted sinks are
nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would be (lots of
cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local HD cuts granite
for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the edges would still be
sharp ... ?

Thanks,
JSH

Grandpa Koca

Julie wrote:
I apologize if this is too obviously, "no way". But:

I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted sinks are
nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would be (lots of
cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local HD cuts granite
for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the edges would still be
sharp ... ?

Thanks,
JSH

Might want to consider a "tile-in" sink. No lip to deal with, square
corners. Are you seriously thinking of having HD make all your cuts for
the counter?

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca/

Julie

"Grandpa Koca" wrote
Julie wrote:

I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted
sinks are nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would
be (lots of cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local
HD cuts granite for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the
edges would still be sharp ... ?

Might want to consider a "tile-in" sink. No lip to deal with, square
corners. Are you seriously thinking of having HD make all your cuts
for the counter?

I'll look into the tile-ins, I thought they were for ceramic only.

My counter is a 10'-long, 24"-deep rectangle, with a sink in it. Two
more 13" by 24" sections. So, not overly complicated - will only need
cuts for the sink, the sections, and a backsplash. Is there a reason I
shouldn't have the cuts done at HD?

JSH

Grandpa Koca

Julie wrote:

"Grandpa Koca" wrote

Julie wrote:

I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted
sinks are nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would
be (lots of cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local
HD cuts granite for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the
edges would still be sharp ... ?

Might want to consider a "tile-in" sink. No lip to deal with, square
corners. Are you seriously thinking of having HD make all your cuts
for the counter?

I'll look into the tile-ins, I thought they were for ceramic only.

My counter is a 10'-long, 24"-deep rectangle, with a sink in it. Two
more 13" by 24" sections. So, not overly complicated - will only need
cuts for the sink, the sections, and a backsplash. Is there a reason I
shouldn't have the cuts done at HD?

JSH

And its got perfect 90 degree corners and its exactly 10'? You going to
do this yourself on what kind of substrate?
In my experience, there isn't a home built with square corners, flat
walls, and straight runs. Expecting HD supplied material to be of exact
dimensions and not test fitting with a dry layout is just asking for
problems. Rent a saw, granite that thin is easy to cut.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca/
A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without
mustard.

Julie

"Grandpa Koca" wrote

And its got perfect 90 degree corners and its exactly 10'? You going
to do this yourself on what kind of substrate?

Even better, two of the corners are hidden underneath a higher
overlapping ledge. Built in '85, so things aren't too bad (yes, I've
checked). Need to pull the existing laminate 'top first, then will put
down 3/4" plywood + hardibacker + a molding strip.

Expecting HD supplied material to be of exact dimensions and not
test fitting with a dry layout is just asking for problems.

The tile will come from somewhere else (I live a few miles from a road
with, seriously, about 20 tile/stone/etc shops. Home Improvement Row,
it would seem.), and frankly I'd expect the tile guy at HD to have a
better shot at straight cuts than me.

Yes, I'd already planned on laying it out dry! Not as stupid as I
sound. really.

Rent a saw, granite that thin is easy to cut.

I might, yet.

Those local stone shops want $7-10 a cut, while HD wants $1 (and I've
seen the guy who does the cuts; his work seems good to me, while I'd be
a novice cutter). Between the mess and fuss of a wet saw, the HD option
doesn't seem so bad.

JSH

Grandpa Koca

Julie wrote:
"Grandpa Koca" wrote

[...]

Well, I'd check into that real close. Usually, the $1 per cut is for
material purchased from the store, not what you bring in. I'd be
surprised if they did, but then if they do ... well I wouldn't blame you
for buying that for a dollar.