blue

Default Blanco sink - create own punch outs?

We just purchased a Blanco Silgranit sink that came with one hole
punched out, and one ready to be punched out. The faucet we bought to go
with this needs 2 holes (one for the faucet, one for the tap) and if we
desire one additional hole for a soap dispenser. The sink does not have
a third hole for the soap dispenser. We love the sink and love the
faucet we purchased but obviously the sink is not ready for the soap
dispenser (only 2 holes). Not a huge deal if we don't put the soap
dispenser in, but would be cool if we could. The sink does have places
where there is room for the soap dispenser if we were brave enough to
create our own hole.

My questions are as follows:

1) Are we going to weaken/wreck the sink if we create a hole where
Blanco does not have one pre-destined?
2) If it is okay to make our own hole, what is the best tool for this job?
3) Anything special we should look out for?
4) Blanco offers a limited life time warranty on this sink, any opinions
on if we will void our warranty if we create our own hole?
5) If it is a bad idea to create our own hole, any other creative places
to put the soap dispenser? i.e. hole in the countertop near the sink?

Thanks for any advice.

Remove YOUR CLOTHES if you want to email me.
Dee

blue wrote in

[...]

I can't help you with your questions, but have you tried contacting Blanco
directly?

http://www.blancoamerica.com/

All inquiries pertaining to sink and faucet installation, technical
questions and specification information

Toll Free: 1-800-451-5782

I'd be interested in the answer you receive as I am also looking at buying
a Blanco Silgranit sink and would like to put in a soap dispenser.

Dee
wayne

I have a Blanco sink. I guess it would void the warranty if a crack
developed where you put the hole. Is there much material around the hole?
I would use a diamond hole saw the same as they do for granite to get a nice
smooth hole. I love my sink it is undermounted and that to me is the only
way to go regardless of what kind of countertop you have if you can make it
work!

Wayne

"blue" wrote in message
[...]

blue

I can't help you with your questions, but have you tried contacting Blanco
directly?

We just bought the sink yesterday (Saturday) and tried contacting Blanco
Canada but they are closed on weekends and we are installing the sink
today. I'll give the U.S. number a shot today in case they are open on
the weekends.
blue

I'd be interested in the answer you receive as I am also looking at buying
a Blanco Silgranit sink and would like to put in a soap dispenser.

We purchased the Avon model which has only 2 holes, but other models
such as the Vision 210, Vienna 210, Somerset 210 have lots of extra
punchouts (between 4 and 6 additional knock-outs) which would give you
pleny of room for the soap dispenser. Unfortunately we didn't have many
options for our purchase as we are trying to get our kitchen done before
X-mas so had to purchase an in-stock model.

blue

I have a Blanco sink. I guess it would void the warranty if a crack
developed where you put the hole. Is there much material around the hole?
I would use a diamond hole saw the same as they do for granite to get a nice
smooth hole. I love my sink it is undermounted and that to me is the only
way to go regardless of what kind of countertop you have if you can make it
work!

Ya a crack doesn't sound to pleasing, hate to have to buy a new sink
because of something we did. We might end up switching our faucet set
even if we don't like it as much.

We just have a laminate countertop and thought it wasn't possible to
undermount with that. Have you ever seen it done?
blue

Ah, I just check the U.S. web site and it looks like the models I
mentioned are Canada specific (unless of course they just don't have
them on the web site). If the web site is accurate, we have many more
model choices in Canada but it looks like the U.S. models have between 3
and 4 additional knock-outs available.

blue wrote:

I'd be interested in the answer you receive as I am also looking at
buying a Blanco Silgranit sink and would like to put in a soap dispenser.

We purchased the Avon model which has only 2 holes, but other models
such as the Vision 210, Vienna 210, Somerset 210 have lots of extra
punchouts (between 4 and 6 additional knock-outs) which would give you
pleny of room for the soap dispenser. Unfortunately we didn't have many
options for our purchase as we are trying to get our kitchen done before
X-mas so had to purchase an in-stock model.

Eric Tonks

The last stainless steel kitchen sink we purchased (Franke) needed a couple
of extra holes punched, and they were done by the dealer. It requires
special punches to get through that tough stainless steel. Ordinary drills
and files have difficulty cutting the stuff. I did have to make a small hole
in one and used ever increasing drill bits and then a round file chucked in
a drill. Took forever but I finally got a 3/4" diameter hole for a soap
dispenser.

No, you won't weaken the sink, they (Blanko and Franke) are built like
tanks. They expect extra holes to be punched into them.

"blue" wrote in message
[...]

Eric Tonks

Undermount use different versions of the sink model. They come in undermount
and topmount. The undermount has the top surround cut back so you don't have
to punch through both the countertop and the sink.

"blue" wrote in message
I have a Blanco sink. I guess it would void the warranty if a crack
developed where you put the hole. Is there much material around the

hole?
I would use a diamond hole saw the same as they do for granite to get a

nice
smooth hole. I love my sink it is undermounted and that to me is the

only
way to go regardless of what kind of countertop you have if you can make

it
work!

Ya a crack doesn't sound to pleasing, hate to have to buy a new sink
because of something we did. We might end up switching our faucet set
even if we don't like it as much.

We just have a laminate countertop and thought it wasn't possible to
undermount with that. Have you ever seen it done?

kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM