Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door question

The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got
quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the
bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the
plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there
is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm on the inside of the door
now. The door itself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Any suggestions or comments?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got
quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the
bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the
plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there
is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm on the inside of the door
now. The door itself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

That sounds like it should work okay.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

My doors will need replacing within a year or two. There are a
lot of good options. I also read a local consumer review very
recently.

1. Find a good supplier/installer. HD and Lowes did not fair
well in the local reviews. The (good) smaller businesses
did extremely well on quality and price!

2. Seriously consider appropriately insulated doors. I'm in
CA, but during the summer, the garage gets really hot
from conduction through the doors. During the evening
all of that heat rises into the bedroom above making
that room quite uncomfortable at night.

3. You have quite a few choices of material. I think it
comes down to personal preferences, assuming you
select something which is of sound quality.

4. Also consider whether to replace (or reuse) the
existing opener and the level of security you
want on any wireless operation.

5. I definitely want to add an external keypad -- my oldest
child will soon need solo access but she's *certain* to
loose any key that we give her!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

They make a bracket just for this purpose which is much stronger &
better.
One source & pictures of the bracket can be found he

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/operator-brackets.html (I am not
associated w/ the site in any manner, but it is a nice site that's
easy to use)

Through bolts thru the door isn't going to help a whole lot, plus the
door will not look all that great from the outside.

Doordoc

On Mar 16, 3:28 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
The connection where theopenerarm attaches to thedooris not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got
quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the
bolts as tight as I would like into thedoor.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the
plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there
is a steel angle as a brace under theopenerarm on the inside of thedoor
now. Thedooritself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Any suggestions or comments?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:28:06 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got
quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the
bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the
plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there
is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm on the inside of the door
now. The door itself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Any suggestions or comments?

I get the impression that you really want a new door (grin).

I've seen recent installs of this brand and can say the doors are
excellent quality. I'm only passing a link.

http://www.martindoor.com/

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our garage door has the window panel in the next to top position
making watching outside while working in the garage a pleasure. Just
had an oversize two car garage built to use a woodshop and did the
same with that door. Slick!

wrote:

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
* *I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.- Hide quoted text -

I too like windows in door.

If your uin a hurricane area get ones that are hurricane safe. They
prevent the door blowing out which leads to overall home destruction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door question Thanks

Joseph Meehan wrote:
The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things
got quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to
get the bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though
the plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the
instructions there is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm
on the inside of the door now. The door itself seems solid and
everything is functioning OK.
I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Any suggestions or comments?

Tanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit