Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Garage door question

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as
secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got
quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the
bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the
plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there
is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm on the inside of the door
now. The door itself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

That sounds like it should work okay.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two
doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

My doors will need replacing within a year or two. There are a
lot of good options. I also read a local consumer review very
recently.

1. Find a good supplier/installer. HD and Lowes did not fair
well in the local reviews. The (good) smaller businesses
did extremely well on quality and price!

2. Seriously consider appropriately insulated doors. I'm in
CA, but during the summer, the garage gets really hot
from conduction through the doors. During the evening
all of that heat rises into the bedroom above making
that room quite uncomfortable at night.

3. You have quite a few choices of material. I think it
comes down to personal preferences, assuming you
select something which is of sound quality.

4. Also consider whether to replace (or reuse) the
existing opener and the level of security you
want on any wireless operation.

5. I definitely want to add an external keypad -- my oldest
child will soon need solo access but she's *certain* to
loose any key that we give her!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |