Dave Solly

Default Question on garage door opener

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in
news

About a week ago, my mother's garage door opener, a Genie 1/2 horse
screw drive, stopped working. I went over, and found that when the
opener starts up, you hear the motor make the "unnnnngggg" noise,
there's a quiver in the door, and the motor stops trying.

I checked to see if the screw drive was bound up, not at all. I
was
able to grab the rear of the shaft and turn it freely by hand. I felt
the starter capacitor, and it was hot enough to give me a pretty good
burn, so I figured that it was shot, and ordered a replacement. When
it got there, I put the replacement in, and while the problem seems to
be *better*, it's certainly not *fixed*.

Any advice on what the problem could be? Replacing the opener isn't
out
of the question, but if it's not necessary, then all the better.

Steve Wolfe

Disconnect the door from the opener. Is it easy to open and close by
hand? Will is stay open in any position? If not, the springs are not
balanced. This puts a large extra load on the motor.

Dave
(Been there, done that)
Doordoc

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message ...
About a week ago, my mother's garage door opener, a Genie 1/2 horse
screw drive, stopped working. I went over, and found that when the opener
starts up, you hear the motor make the "unnnnngggg" noise, there's a
quiver in the door, and the motor stops trying.

I checked to see if the screw drive was bound up, not at all. I was
able to grab the rear of the shaft and turn it freely by hand. I felt the
starter capacitor, and it was hot enough to give me a pretty good burn, so
I figured that it was shot, and ordered a replacement. When it got there,
I put the replacement in, and while the problem seems to be *better*, it's
certainly not *fixed*.

Any advice on what the problem could be? Replacing the opener isn't out
of the question, but if it's not necessary, then all the better.

Steve Wolfe

Steve,

Checking the door by hand is a good suggestion, but here are some
other ideas.
Three of the many possibilities are;
1) If it is a rail & screw that is in 3-pieces & bolted together check
the coupler between the rail & the motor head (unbolted the rail at
the motor head)
2) The teeth on the carriage (black plastice piece that rides on rail
& bolts
to the door arm) The carriage will slide off the front of the rail
after unbolting rail from header bracket.
3) Remove the small black rubber piece that is in the end of the rail
up next
to the motor head & make sure that the the c-clip is still engaged
into the
screw. This c-clip keeps the screw from wanting to slide back & forth
through
the motor.
It could be any of the 3, but #3 is the easiest to do & #1 the
hardest.
None of the above? Post back.

Doordoc
www.doorsandopeners.com
Steve

None of the above? Post back.

I completely disconnected the door carriage from the screw, and
turned the shaft by hand - easy as pie. The problem still persisted.
I replaced the starter capacitor, same problem. When the problem
would occur, the only remedy would be to reach up and turn the shaft
by hand ever so slightly, then it would work for a time or two.

I called Genie, and spent some time trying all sorts of odd things
on the unit, and they determined that the sequencing board had gone
out, so I ordered a new one. Hopefully that will solve things!

steve