Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace sucking in dust from garage?

I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter, but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace
is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly
into where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the
blower is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air
filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I
somehow seal this panel better and force all air to come from my air return
vent which is located in the center hallway of the house? I don't
understand this design of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty
air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

The message was a little confused, so I might be off base here. There are
two air supplies in your furnace. One supplies air to the house and the
other supplies air to the burner. You don't want your burner to be sucking
air from the vents and a lot of times the intake vent draws directly from
the outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Why is it sucking air from the garage. This is dangerous. If there is a gas
leakage the gasoline fumes can be drawn into the furnace and could cause a
fire. The walls and ceiling between the house and the garage are supposed to
be protected by a 1 hour rated firewall to slow any garage fire from
spreading into the house.

"dave" nospam wrote in message
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace
is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly
into where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the
blower is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air
filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I
somehow seal this panel better and force all air to come from my air return
vent which is located in the center hallway of the house? I don't
understand this design of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty
air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 9:57 pm, "dave" nospam wrote:
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter, but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

If you have gas or oil, you are "sucking" air into the furnace
room to support combustion and carry the fumes up the chimney.
When running, a combustion furnace attempts to pull a vacuum on the
whole house.

The fact that your furnace panel doesn't seal well doesn't affect that
whole house vacuum. It merely allows the furnace to draw air from the
furnace room and distribute it through the registers.

Building codes demand that garages be constructed to prevent garage
air from entering the house (when any connecting door is closed of
course). If you somehow know that "dirty garage air" is entering
your house, then you have a problem with the doors and walls, not
the furnace.

In any case, around here, outside air is "dirtier" than garage air.

You can seal the gaps in the panel if you wish. That will improve
the ability of your system to heat the upstairs rooms.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message

I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace

is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly

into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the

blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter,

but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this

design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

So far as safety is concerned (avoiding risks of
either suffocation or fire) you should consult the
building code for furnaces, available wherever
building permits are issued for your locality.
(Upgrading to meet current fire code norms
is required by insurance firms in some places.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote:
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my
furnace is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and
holes directly into where the blower is (which is directly over the
air filter). So the blower is sucking in some air from the return
line and through the air filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps
in the panel. Should I somehow seal this panel better and force all
air to come from my air return vent which is located in the center
hallway of the house? I don't understand this design of a furnace
which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.
Thanks,
DaveL

I don't like the idea of a furnace in a garage or sucking any air from
the garage. Combustible gases like gasoline and a furnace don't get along.
A garage often gets CO gas. You don't what the furnace getting any of that
so most if not all codes are not going to allow the furnace to be in the
garage. Also very important is the garage is a source of CO gas. CO is
poisonous and you don't want that sucked up into your home.

Dust is the last thing I would be worried about.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:57:49 -0800, "dave" nospam wrote:

I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter, but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

I think you left out that your furnace is in your garage. Is this
correct?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 04:58:31 -0800, jazon48 wrote:

[...]

This is interesting. My garage is attached. My furnace is in my basement
which sort of borders the garage but not under it of course. I have a CO
detector in the basement which is mounted on the wall that sort of borders
the garage. If I run a car in the garage with the exhaust facing in,
within 2 minutes that CO detector will start sounding off. The basement
does not smell of fumes, but I am trusting the detector on this one.

So this would be a sign of poor construction? My house is only a few
years old. The return inside the house has a vent that exits the house on
the rear so I assume this is to equalize house pressure. So if any small
holes in my garage, then I assume air will suck in from there as well?

Thanks for any info.

dnoyeB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello and thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, the furnace is in the
garage. Where would I be getting CO from? The furnace and water heater are
both vented through stove pipes going through the roof. Here are some
pictures I uploaded to illustrate better. Notice that the panel which
encloses the negative pressure area does not seal well around it. There are
no seals!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace1.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace2.JPG

Thanks,
DaveL

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 8:57 pm, "dave" nospam wrote:
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter, but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

Are you sure that the dust is not something else, like clothes dryer
lint?

A customer of mine thought he had a giant dust problem, but when I
looked at the "dust" and saw that it was thicker than regular dust, I
matched it to clothes dryer lint. His dryer vent was clogged and the
furnace was sucking up the lint that could not be exhausted out of the
house and depositing it everywhere.
Check your clothes dryer vent.

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Notice that the panel which
encloses the negative pressure area does not seal well around it. There are
no seals!

The lack of a 100% seal is unimportant. The capacity to harm
is what's important. All furnaces as far as I know are similar to
yours in that the access door seals good enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

dnoyeB- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, no more info. I reached the limit of my experience with
the Building Code comment. I got some bids on a remodel some years
ago and the code requirements for isolating the attached garage from
the house were a PITA.

One of my later houses had the same arrangement that you describe,
i.e. door between an attached garage and the furnace room. I had a
hefty door with good weather stripping and a well-sealed common wall.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Where are you? In most areas of North America, furnaces that heat houses are
illegal in garages because of the possibility of carbon monoxide and
gasoline fumes from the cars, and the inability to provide a one hour
firebreak between the garage and the house.

dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 18:37:16 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Where are you? In most areas of North America, furnaces that heat houses are
illegal in garages because of the possibility of carbon monoxide and
gasoline fumes from the cars, and the inability to provide a one hour
firebreak between the garage and the house.

Admittedly our ranch house was built about 57 years ago, but it had a
gas furnace in the garage.

I'd like to know who runs a car in the garage. You don't have to have
a furnace there. What about the people who are actually in the garage
for one reason or another.

I turn the car off as soon as I'm in the garage, 4 or 5 seconds, and
the big door is open longer than that.

Warming up the car isn't really necessary (unless maybe it's a new
car?) but I certainly wouldn't do that in the garage either, since I'd
be sitting right there in the car in the garage.

As to the OP, I never figured out where we were talking about until I
saw the pictures you list below. I'm sure there is dust there, but
why do you think it is entering your house. That is not where the
house air comes from. It comes from a heating duct that comes from
someplace in your house. It recirculates the same air, minus and plus
whatever is lost and regained through doors, windows, and cracks
around the window glass, the door frames, etc.

The cover is just there to make it look nice. The springy part so it
doesn't rattle. Heck, I haven't had the cover on for years.

The air for the fire does come in through there, but the fire is
separated from the air that circulates though your house by the heat
exchanger.

"dave" nospam wrote in message
Hello and thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, the furnace is in the
garage. Where would I be getting CO from? The furnace and water heater
are both vented through stove pipes going through the roof. Here are some
pictures I uploaded to illustrate better. Notice that the panel which
encloses the negative pressure area does not seal well around it. There
are no seals!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace1.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace2.JPG

Thanks,
DaveL

Posted to alt.home.repair

CDET 14 wrote in article
.com...
[...]

New Carpet? Some cut pile carpet can create alot of "dust" (carpet fibers).
TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair

dnoyeB- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, no more info. I reached the limit of my experience with
the Building Code comment. I got some bids on a remodel some years ago
and the code requirements for isolating the attached garage from the house
were a PITA.

One of my later houses had the same arrangement that you describe, i.e.
door between an attached garage and the furnace room. I had a hefty door
with good weather stripping and a well-sealed common wall.

Jason

Actually my furnace and CO detector is in the basement. There is no door
in that area. But there are some wires that run from the garage into the
basement since house is about 2 feet higher than the garage, those 2 feet
are in the basement ceiling area. So the sprinkler controls in the garage
have the wiring going into the basement. Maybe I need to seal that hole
tighter or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:37:16 -0500, EXT wrote:

Where are you? In most areas of North America, furnaces that heat houses
are illegal in garages because of the possibility of carbon monoxide and
gasoline fumes from the cars, and the inability to provide a one hour
firebreak between the garage and the house.

I have a relative that lives in Atlanta. Her home is no more than 10
years old in my estimation. The furnace is also in the garage. So is the
hot water heater. The kitchen and other areas are over the garage as well.

I don't think his furnace should be sucking dust from the garage though.
If his furnace filter is covered with dust from the garage, that is an
indication that the air to the house is coming from the wrong place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:51:38 -0600, TomC wrote:

CDET 14 wrote in article
.com...
[...]

Thats practically the only source of dust. I recently went to a friend's
house to get her computer that some kids had infected. I opened it up and
after 4 years, it has not a spec of dust in it. On the other hand, I have
to dust my computer once a month. Her basement is not carpeted but tiled.
my computer room and just about all in the house are tiled. I cant wait
o remove that carpet

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

Where are you? In most areas of North America, furnaces that heat houses
are
illegal in garages because of the possibility of carbon monoxide and
gasoline fumes from the cars, and the inability to provide a one hour
firebreak between the garage and the house.

Admittedly our ranch house was built about 57 years ago, but it had a
gas furnace in the garage.

I'd like to know who runs a car in the garage. You don't have to have
a furnace there. What about the people who are actually in the garage
for one reason or another.

The reason the laws are there is not for people who don't run a car in the
garage but for
safety in case someone does leave one running, it has happened and can
happen. The laws require a vapor proof seal between the house and the
garage. Also gasoline can leak or at least evaporate and being heavier than
air, it can pool on the floor. Most areas require any flames, furnaces to
heat the garage, and even electrical outlets to be no lower than 48 inches
above the floor. Also if there is a garage has a fire, and cars have had
electrical problems that caused fires when nobody is around, there should be
a one hour firewall between the occupied area of the house and the garage. A
furnace blowing air from the garage to the house would quickly facilitate
the spread of the fire or carbon monoxide through the ducts to the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dnoyeB wrote in article
[...]

My son was having problems with his printer; ink splotches etc.. Opened it
up and it was full of dust. Cartridges were dragging ink soaked dust balls
all over. Seems like the open paper feed feeds more than just paper. ;-)
TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:28:56 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Admittedly our ranch house was built about 57 years ago, but it had a
gas furnace in the garage.

I'd like to know who runs a car in the garage. You don't have to have
a furnace there. What about the people who are actually in the garage
for one reason or another.

The reason the laws are there is not for people who don't run a car in the
garage but for
safety in case someone does leave one running, it has happened and can

That makes perfect sense. Didn't think of that. Although the guy
from Atlanta didn't seem to think that was the law everywhere.

And there must be 10's of thousands of furnaces in garages in Indiana
alone, built prior to any law.

happen. The laws require a vapor proof seal between the house and the
garage. Also gasoline can leak or at least evaporate and being heavier than
air, it can pool on the floor. Most areas require any flames, furnaces to
heat the garage, and even electrical outlets to be no lower than 48 inches
above the floor. Also if there is a garage has a fire, and cars have had
electrical problems that caused fires when nobody is around, there should be
a one hour firewall between the occupied area of the house and the garage. A
furnace blowing air from the garage to the house would quickly facilitate
the spread of the fire or carbon monoxide through the ducts to the house.

Why would air or CO in the garage, that is mixed with oil or gas and
burnt in the furnace, get into the house? Is't the heat exchanger
meant to separate combustion air from house air?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:57:49 -0800, "dave" nospam wrote:

I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace is
not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly into
where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the blower
is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air filter, but
a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I somehow seal this
panel better and force all air to come from my air return vent which is
located in the center hallway of the house? I don't understand this design
of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

Metal tape?

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com