Posted to alt.home.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Furnace sucking in dust from garage?

California.

DaveL

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Where are you? In most areas of North America, furnaces that heat houses
are illegal in garages because of the possibility of carbon monoxide and
gasoline fumes from the cars, and the inability to provide a one hour
firebreak between the garage and the house.

"dave" nospam wrote in message
Hello and thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, the furnace is in the
garage. Where would I be getting CO from? The furnace and water heater
are both vented through stove pipes going through the roof. Here are
some pictures I uploaded to illustrate better. Notice that the panel
which encloses the negative pressure area does not seal well around it.
There are no seals!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace1.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/Furnace2.JPG

Thanks,
DaveL

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
dave wrote:
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my
furnace is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and
holes directly into where the blower is (which is directly over the
air filter). So the blower is sucking in some air from the return
line and through the air filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps
in the panel. Should I somehow seal this panel better and force all
air to come from my air return vent which is located in the center
hallway of the house? I don't understand this design of a furnace
which takes no care in keeping dirty air from the garage out.
Thanks,
DaveL

I don't like the idea of a furnace in a garage or sucking any air
from the garage. Combustible gases like gasoline and a furnace don't
get along. A garage often gets CO gas. You don't what the furnace
getting any of that so most if not all codes are not going to allow the
furnace to be in the garage. Also very important is the garage is a
source of CO gas. CO is poisonous and you don't want that sucked up into
your home.

Dust is the last thing I would be worried about.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit