Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Furnace sucking in dust from garage?

Why is it sucking air from the garage. This is dangerous. If there is a gas
leakage the gasoline fumes can be drawn into the furnace and could cause a
fire. The walls and ceiling between the house and the garage are supposed to
be protected by a 1 hour rated firewall to slow any garage fire from
spreading into the house.

"dave" nospam wrote in message
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace
is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly
into where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the
blower is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air
filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I
somehow seal this panel better and force all air to come from my air return
vent which is located in the center hallway of the house? I don't
understand this design of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty
air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL