Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Furnace sucking in dust from garage?

"dave" nospam wrote in message
I get a lot of dust in my house. I noticed the front panel on my furnace
is not even close to air tight. I can see through gaps and holes directly
into where the blower is (which is directly over the air filter). So the
blower is sucking in some air from the return line and through the air
filter, but a lot is coming through the gaps in the panel. Should I
somehow seal this panel better and force all air to come from my air return
vent which is located in the center hallway of the house? I don't
understand this design of a furnace which takes no care in keeping dirty
air from the garage out.

Thanks,
DaveL

The message was a little confused, so I might be off base here. There are
two air supplies in your furnace. One supplies air to the house and the
other supplies air to the burner. You don't want your burner to be sucking
air from the vents and a lot of times the intake vent draws directly from
the outside.