Posted to alt.home.repair

Default screwdriver bit recommendations?

So what's the consensus on power screwdriver bits....go with the cheap, the
bit more pricey or the exotic (diamond coated) for the average homeowner.
Dunno the pedigree of the couple I picked up from the closeout box at a
local hardware store but was surprised that after driving mebbe 50 1 1/2"
drywall screws in ply that the bits were toast- yeah, the bits were the
common #2 bits. Looking at the typical domestic US big box retailers- so
that would make it dewalt, hilti, makita, vermont american- type makers.
Just curious. Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 8:21 am, "patrick mitchel" wrote:
So what's the consensus on power screwdriver bits....go with the cheap, the
bit more pricey or the exotic (diamond coated) for the average homeowner.
Dunno the pedigree of the couple I picked up from the closeout box at a
local hardware store but was surprised that after driving mebbe 50 1 1/2"
drywall screws in ply that the bits were toast- yeah, the bits were the
common #2 bits. Looking at the typical domestic US big box retailers- so
that would make it dewalt, hilti, makita, vermont american- type makers.
Just curious. Pat

Some are better and more durable than others. I don't try to tell the
difference just be sure to have extras. Square drive bits and screws
are better than the ordinary philips head but are more expensive. I
always go with phillips head for that reason. If you use an impact
driver rather than a drill/driver your tips will slip less and maybe
last longer. I have snapped the cheap ones with my 12v panasonic
impact driver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"patrick mitchel" wrote in message
So what's the consensus on power screwdriver bits....go with the cheap,
the bit more pricey or the exotic (diamond coated) for the average
homeowner. Dunno the pedigree of the couple I picked up from the closeout
box at a local hardware store but was surprised that after driving mebbe
50 1 1/2" drywall screws in ply that the bits were toast- yeah, the bits
were the common #2 bits.

I buy mine at www.mcfeeleys.com or www.leevaley.com They are of a decent
quality, wear a long time, and most important, they do not ruin the screw.
You may want to consider using square head also. Less chance of slipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

patrick mitchel wrote:
So what's the consensus on power screwdriver bits....go with the cheap, the
bit more pricey or the exotic (diamond coated) for the average homeowner.
Dunno the pedigree of the couple I picked up from the closeout box at a
local hardware store but was surprised that after driving mebbe 50 1 1/2"
drywall screws in ply that the bits were toast- yeah, the bits were the
common #2 bits. Looking at the typical domestic US big box retailers- so
that would make it dewalt, hilti, makita, vermont american- type makers.
Just curious. Pat

If you don;t want to use square drive then buy the better Phillips bits.
I get the best performance out of the "anti-cam out" bits. Little more
expensive but provides a dividend for the price.