Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to get large philips #3 screwdriver bit?

Most philips #3 screwdriver bit (for cordless screwdriver) I found has the
same diameter as a philips #2 bit. It seems for some reason the tip of the
bit cannot be made wider than the shaft. The result is that the #3 bit does
not fill up the entire slot in a screw, and is therefore prone to slipping
out during tightening.

In a manual philips #3 screwdriver, the tip diameter is larger than a #2
screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off my hand
screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Most B.Box should have 'em, look harder
Try Drivecore, tractor supply, or fastenal......
I have made a few custom tools.....in my time.
regards, sky

#2 screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off
my hand screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Look in the contractor supply section of the big box store.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
Most philips #3 screwdriver bit (for cordless screwdriver) I found has the
same diameter as a philips #2 bit. It seems for some reason the tip of the
bit cannot be made wider than the shaft. The result is that the #3 bit does
not fill up the entire slot in a screw, and is therefore prone to slipping
out during tightening.

In a manual philips #3 screwdriver, the tip diameter is larger than a #2
screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off my hand
screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Get an ACR bit. They have little ridges on the sides of the bit to
grab the screws better. If you can't find them in a store order them
he
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sid=489&clearance=

You can also get them from snap-on
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

A little pricey but saves money & time in the long run from stripped
screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

Most philips #3 screwdriver bit (for cordless screwdriver) I found has the
same diameter as a philips #2 bit. It seems for some reason the tip of the
bit cannot be made wider than the shaft. The result is that the #3 bit
does not fill up the entire slot in a screw, and is therefore prone to
slipping out during tightening.

In a manual philips #3 screwdriver, the tip diameter is larger than a #2
screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off my
hand screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Do you have a 3/8 drive socket adapter for your screwdriver? If so, then
just get a #3 phillips socket, which usually comes with 3/8" drive.

If your screwdriver has an adjustable chuck that goes large enough, the
handheld impact drivers that go for 25 bucks or so generally have a #3
phillips, but the shank won't fit a regular hex-drive replaceable tip
screwdriver.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate