Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV RayV is offline

Default where to get large philips #3 screwdriver bit?

John wrote:
Most philips #3 screwdriver bit (for cordless screwdriver) I found has the
same diameter as a philips #2 bit. It seems for some reason the tip of the
bit cannot be made wider than the shaft. The result is that the #3 bit does
not fill up the entire slot in a screw, and is therefore prone to slipping
out during tightening.

In a manual philips #3 screwdriver, the tip diameter is larger than a #2
screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off my hand
screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Get an ACR bit. They have little ridges on the sides of the bit to
grab the screws better. If you can't find them in a store order them
he
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sid=489&clearance=

You can also get them from snap-on
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

A little pricey but saves money & time in the long run from stripped
screws.