Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texture to Oil or Latex Paint

Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.
I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.

Uhm... I don't think you can put Latex over Oil. I could be wrong, but I'd
go with all oil or all latex.

I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Should be OK, but the finish coats lifetime will be reduced a fair bit due
to the extra wear it will see. If you can, use the sand on the first finish
coat and then plain paint on the second coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.

Uhm... I don't think you can put Latex over Oil. I could be wrong, but I'd
go with all oil or all latex.

Properly applied, dried and cured you can put either over the other.
New drywall primer should have a drywall primer for the right situation.
Drywall primers are usually latex, I believe. Vapor barrier on outside?

I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Should be OK, but the finish coats lifetime will be reduced a fair bit due
to the extra wear it will see. If you can, use the sand on the first finish
coat and then plain paint on the second coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.
I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Will that texture be coarse enough to tear off tiny bits of the sponge you
use to wipe the walls down, thereby causing you to want to kill yourself for
thinking texture was such a hot idea? I've seen a few textured walls like
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 7:32 am, wrote:
Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.
I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

The standard wisdom is to never put latex over oils though it can be
successfully done as others have pointed out. Why not just go with
latex throughout??

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , JoeSpareBedroom says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.
I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Will that texture be coarse enough to tear off tiny bits of the sponge you
use to wipe the walls down, thereby causing you to want to kill yourself for
thinking texture was such a hot idea? I've seen a few textured walls like
that.

But dishcloth works fine for wipedown. Never had an issue there. (I use sand,
though, for texture.) And it hides better to begin with.

The main disadvantage of textured paint is that it's pretty much there forever,
and future options for wallpaper or smooth walls are gone.

Although I do have certain wall areas and ceilings textured for their advantages
and I like the look.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , JoeSpareBedroom says...

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Well, I've only had to live with two textured walls, neither of which was
inflicted upon the house by me. Both were sharp enough to snag *anything* I
tried to clean them with. Maybe some people never clean walls. The OP's
talking about a room which sounds like it could have lots of outdoor air
circulation. In many locations, the air's none too clean, as we can see from
the dirt on our siding, windows, cars, etc. I'd go for a smooth surface.