Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Based Paint Over Latex: Primer Required ?

Hello:

If I want to use an Oil based paint over existing Latex paint, do I need a
primer ?

If so, would one of the Zinsser or Kilz primers be best for a bathroom
environment ?
Which ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As long as it is clean and a dull surface no primer is necessary, but
why bother with oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would remove the old paint, then prime and paint with oil based paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would remove the old paint, then prime and paint with oil based paint.

How do you remove the old paint in this situation?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you remove the old paint in this situation?

Exactly what are you painting?

If it's wood then use a heat gun to remove the existing paint. Heat
guns are good for removing paint from wood. If it's drywall or plaster
I'd scuff it up the existing paint with sandpaper then prime and paint.
That's if the existing paint is adhering well. Bathroom paint is
often problematic and requiring complete removal but if it's adhering
good then the scuff and prime and paint methind should work well.

Oil based paint? BE Home Repair 3 July 6th 06 01:15 PM
latex paint mistake - can this be fixed without repainting entirewall? Garrett Home Repair 5 July 5th 06 01:41 PM
god-dang latex paint peter p. Home Repair 13 January 25th 06 01:42 AM
oil based masonry paint asalcedo UK diy 6 November 10th 05 09:38 PM
Latex paint - how to get it off stone? hhk Home Repair 15 November 5th 05 03:04 PM