Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Texture to Oil or Latex Paint

In article , JoeSpareBedroom says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
Three season porch bare drywall 350 sq. feet

I need a primer coat and a finished color. Because of high humidity,
I plan on using an oil-based primer and tinted latex as the finish
coat.
I want a sand texture wall and usually add the dry texture plastic
particles to the primer and apply with a roller. I am thinking it
would be less of a mess to roll the primer on and then add the texture
to the latex finish coat. Any reasons why this would not work? thanks

Will that texture be coarse enough to tear off tiny bits of the sponge you
use to wipe the walls down, thereby causing you to want to kill yourself for
thinking texture was such a hot idea? I've seen a few textured walls like
that.

But dishcloth works fine for wipedown. Never had an issue there. (I use sand,
though, for texture.) And it hides better to begin with.

The main disadvantage of textured paint is that it's pretty much there forever,
and future options for wallpaper or smooth walls are gone.

Although I do have certain wall areas and ceilings textured for their advantages
and I like the look.

Banty