Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

My question is similar to that of Puddin' Man's below. I also have
non-insulated metal garage doors (probably aluminum) with original
factory finish. They're nine years old and have become chalky. We live
in the desert southwest, and the doors get about 6-7 hours of sun
(depending on the season).

We contacted two professional painters. One said we should definitely
use an oil-based (alkyd) paint because it will hold up better with our
heat and sun. The second painter said we should definitely use acrylic
(latex) paint, because oil paint dries rigid and, since the aluminum
doors have a slight "give" to them, the oil paint would end up getting
hairline cracks. He said acylic would be better since it's more
flexible.

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Thanks... Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rustoleum

Made for this application!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

I've had good luck using the auto body shop at the local vocational high
school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

hell why stop there, he could get them to air brush some nude women on
the door too