DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175124-garage-door-paint-oil-latex.html)

Steve September 6th 06 06:31 PM

Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

My question is similar to that of Puddin' Man's below. I also have
non-insulated metal garage doors (probably aluminum) with original
factory finish. They're nine years old and have become chalky. We live
in the desert southwest, and the doors get about 6-7 hours of sun
(depending on the season).

We contacted two professional painters. One said we should definitely
use an oil-based (alkyd) paint because it will hold up better with our
heat and sun. The second painter said we should definitely use acrylic
(latex) paint, because oil paint dries rigid and, since the aluminum
doors have a slight "give" to them, the oil paint would end up getting
hairline cracks. He said acylic would be better since it's more
flexible.

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Thanks... Steve

[email protected] September 6th 06 09:21 PM

Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

Rustoleum:)

Made for this application!

sosessyithurts September 6th 06 09:29 PM

Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

wrote:
Rustoleum:)

Made for this application!

do you think the op should do something about removing existing
oxidation before painting, if so what would you reccomend?

Edwin Pawlowski September 6th 06 09:39 PM

"Steve" wrote in message

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

Stubby September 6th 06 09:44 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage
doors? Any other comments?

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

I've had good luck using the auto body shop at the local vocational high
school.

sosessyithurts September 6th 06 10:03 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

hell why stop there, he could get them to air brush some nude women on
the door too

Norminn September 6th 06 11:22 PM

Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

wrote:
Rustoleum:)

Made for this application!

That is what I used - door slight rusty, which I sanded down. Rusty
metal primer, oil enamel. Lasted the 8+ years that I lived in that
house after painting. West facing door.

Norminn September 6th 06 11:23 PM

sosessyithurts wrote:

wrote:

Rustoleum:)

Made for this application!

do you think the op should do something about removing existing
oxidation before painting, if so what would you reccomend?

Always. Just wash well and dry.