Mike

Default How Can I Tell if Trim Paint is Oil or Latex?

I'm repainting rooms. How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Thanks

Mike

Richard J Kinch

Mike writes:

How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Apply a solvent that dissolves one but not the other.
Joe Bobst

I'm repainting rooms. How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Read the label on the can. If the label is gone, smell the paint. Mineral
sprits in oil based have an unpleasant smell. Latex paints have very lttle
odor. HTH

Joe

Ron

Use rubbing alcohol on a rag. Latex will come off, oil base won't.