DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How Can I Tell if Trim Paint is Oil or Latex? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/87610-how-can-i-tell-if-trim-paint-oil-latex.html)

Mike January 22nd 05 01:18 AM

How Can I Tell if Trim Paint is Oil or Latex?

I'm repainting rooms. How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Thanks

Mike

Richard J Kinch January 22nd 05 04:32 AM

Mike writes:

How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Apply a solvent that dissolves one but not the other.

Joe Bobst January 22nd 05 04:35 AM

I'm repainting rooms. How can I tell if a paint is latex or oil based?

Read the label on the can. If the label is gone, smell the paint. Mineral
sprits in oil based have an unpleasant smell. Latex paints have very lttle
odor. HTH

Joe

Ron January 22nd 05 07:41 AM

Use rubbing alcohol on a rag. Latex will come off, oil base won't.