Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline Storage Problem?

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
.net...
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

NO, NO, NO, NO. In other words, NO.

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Yes, the plastic will probably deteriorate.

Have you other suggestions?

Suggestion: Stop thinking about using anything but a container made for
gasoline.

I don't recall where (maybe Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware store, West
Marine), but I've seen very small gas containers that made me think "What's
that for?", and then I wandered off to the light bulb department. Go find
one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?

Simple answer NO!

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will
damage motors?

No one knows until they have tested it and if someone has tested a
Clorox bottle, what if they changed the bottle formula last week?

Just don't do it. Use an approved container only. You not only have to
worry about it eating the container, but how about allowing for expansion
etc.? Stick with the real thing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:39:52 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?

Simple answer NO!

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will
damage motors?

No one knows until they have tested it and if someone has tested a
Clorox bottle, what if they changed the bottle formula last week?

Just don't do it. Use an approved container only. You not only have to
worry about it eating the container, but how about allowing for expansion
etc.? Stick with the real thing.

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

You should use a 1 gallon plastic gas can that clearly labled with
the fuel/oil mix that's in it. Clorox bottles aren't vented,
and don't come with pour-spouts, aren't as thick-walled as gas-cans,
and it's a violation of the law in most places to put gasoline
into a non-approved container. (although that might just be
at the gas station..)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
.net...
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

I've seen gasoline containers in half gallon sizes. I think it was at the
lawn mower shop where I bought my lawn equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dwight wrote:
[...]

I've seen half gallon gasoline containers at the lawn mower shop where I
bought my lawn equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dwight wrote:
[...]

bought my lawn equipment.- Hide quoted text -

I have a one-gallon gas can in my garage from Walmart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?
Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will
damage motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

It's illegal to store gas in any container not meant for it.

Keep looking; there are lots of small gas containers around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Code in my neighborhood is to store only in approved container, and with
a chain for ground outdoors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sorry, but I thought I was tight. Some of my employees accuse
me of it regularly.

Not even I would try to preserve a quart of 2 stroke for next
season. You'll spend more, but you could buy some Stabil that
will help it keep.

Throw the stuff out or run it through the tool. You, the machine,
and the gas can will be happier to start off fresh next season.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...
Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a
handy cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one
gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which
will damage motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety
purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Code in my neighborhood is to store only in approved container,
and with a chain for ground outdoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I thought I was tight. Some of my employees accuse me of
it regularly.

Not even I would try to preserve a quart of 2 stroke for next season.
You'll spend more, but you could buy some Stabil that will help it keep.

Throw the stuff out or run it through the tool. You, the machine, and the
gas can will be happier to start off fresh next season.

Assuming it's otherwise clean, pour it into the car's gas tank when it's
near empty and you're about to fill it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?
Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will
damage motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Glass mayonnaise jars work well, as do wine bottles with screw-on caps.

When necessary, either can be used as a Molotov cocktail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Assuming it's otherwise clean, pour it into the car's gas tank when it's
near empty and you're about to fill it up.

Or just pour it in when the gas tank's already near full...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

et...
wrote:

Assuming it's otherwise clean, pour it into the car's gas tank when it's
near empty and you're about to fill it up.

Or just pour it in when the gas tank's already near full...

Or even 53% full or 47% empty. But, pick up the car and shake, to be sure it
mixes well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
.net...
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

You may find what you are looking for at the URL below.

http://www.shop.com/op/~Oil_to_Gas_M...304?sourceid=3

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

then I wandered off to the light bulb department.
Go find one.

A light blub department? No sweat.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "DanG"
wrote:

Throw the stuff out

Omigod! Not down the drain! HORRORS!!

How about this: Put it in your car when the tank is nearly full. I am not
ASE-certified but I can almost guarantee you that a couple of quarts of
50:1-mixed fuel added to 15-20 gallons of gas won't hurt a thing.

or run it through the tool.

Now, THERE's a thought!
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

On Feb 13, 1:09 pm, Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My Dad used to keep gas for the chain
saw in a 1 gallon glass jug with a screw top. The kind with the
little glass finger grip near the top. I remember one day he enlisted
the help of some neighbours to haul down a tree in the front yard. He
went to get the gas and one of the guys said "Oh, oh, here comes Roman
with the good stuff" . Still makes me chuckle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

then I wandered off to the light bulb department.
Go find one.

A light blub department? No sweat.
--

JR

Right. Right blubs, where them gas cans am kept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

A light blub department? No sweat.

^^^^
Right. Right blubs, where them gas cans am kept.

Thank-you for not ridiculing MY dim blub(sic). sigh

(Now where did I put that spell-checker?)
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

A light blub department? No sweat.

^^^^
Right. Right blubs, where them gas cans am kept.

Thank-you for not ridiculing MY dim blub(sic). sigh

(Now where did I put that spell-checker?)

Spell checkers is adjacent de la madera.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad used to put the left over boat gas in the truck on the way home if
the truck ran out. Even with no other gas in the vehicle, it'll never know
the difference with 50:1

--
Steve Barker

wrote:

Throw the stuff out

Omigod! Not down the drain! HORRORS!!

How about this: Put it in your car when the tank is nearly full. I am
not
ASE-certified but I can almost guarantee you that a couple of quarts of
50:1-mixed fuel added to 15-20 gallons of gas won't hurt a thing.

or run it through the tool.

Now, THERE's a thought!
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 1:09 pm, Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

I guess if you have a oil mix then you have a 2-stroke motor. I found
that I quickly got through fuel on my two stroke machines. I have a 1
gallon can, and my leaf blower in about an hour or so will easily get
through 1/2 a gallon. So maybe buying a 1 gallon container is not so
bad after all.

Best, Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:44:45 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article , "DanG"
wrote:

Throw the stuff out

Omigod! Not down the drain! HORRORS!!

How about this: Put it in your car when the tank is nearly full. I am not
ASE-certified but I can almost guarantee you that a couple of quarts of
50:1-mixed fuel added to 15-20 gallons of gas won't hurt a thing.

or run it through the tool.

Now, THERE's a thought!

buy the pamphlet on building a gasoline torch from lindsaybks.com,
anc scare the hell out of yourself and your neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thanks For The Ideas

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I have several tools and am up to my neck in buckets full of oil, gas,
wrenches files and spare parts, so I am trying to fit it all into one
rigger bag with pockets all around - hence the need for small bottles.
Will keep looking for a half galon gas can.

ski storage- anyone tackled this problem? [email protected] Woodworking 12 February 16th 07 07:38 PM
Gasoline Storage Pop Home Repair 36 February 5th 06 09:14 AM
Storage heater problem [email protected] UK diy 2 November 30th 05 07:18 AM
Old gasoline FDR Home Repair 51 November 13th 05 09:26 AM
storage problem Dave Mitton Home Repair 3 July 20th 03 11:41 AM