Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Gasoline Storage Problem?

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:39:52 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar
material?

Simple answer NO!

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will
damage motors?

No one knows until they have tested it and if someone has tested a
Clorox bottle, what if they changed the bottle formula last week?

Just don't do it. Use an approved container only. You not only have to
worry about it eating the container, but how about allowing for expansion
etc.? Stick with the real thing.

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

You should use a 1 gallon plastic gas can that clearly labled with
the fuel/oil mix that's in it. Clorox bottles aren't vented,
and don't come with pour-spouts, aren't as thick-walled as gas-cans,
and it's a violation of the law in most places to put gasoline
into a non-approved container. (although that might just be
at the gas station..)