Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ski storage- anyone tackled this problem?

Hi folks, just happened across this group and it looks like a heck of
a resource- lots of experience and skill represented in here, makes
for pretty interesting reading!

Anyhow, I'm pretty inexperienced with "finer" woodworking (although I
am learning as I go), but am handy with the more basic carpentry
stuff- built my house/garage etc but haven't really done much as far
as furniture etc goes. I have certainly "caught the bug" lately
though and have a few projects I want to tackle once the workload
calms down a bit!

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

thanks
mick in BC
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:41:14 -0500, David Starr

Hi folks, just happened across this group and it looks like a heck of
a resource- lots of experience and skill represented in here, makes
for pretty interesting reading!

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

thanks
mick in BC

I finished my ski rack a few weeks ago. Nothing more than a piece of
horizonal 2*4 fastened to the studs high enough to keep the tails of the
skis off the floor. Ski hangers are merely 4 inch pieces of 2*4 spaced
about 3" apart. The toe pieces of the step in bindings rest on the
hangers. A good 1 1/2" dado in the horizontal 2*4, some glue and a
couple of 2" wood screws holds the hangers in place good and tight.
Mine holds 6 pairs of skis.

David Starr

Thanks David, sounds kind of like what I was kicking around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:22:44 -0500, Doug Payne
wrote:

On 12/02/2007 12:19 PM, wrote:

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

My solution is an unfinished length of pine with a series of long dowels
spaced a couple of inches apart, hung more than longest ski-length
above the floor. Long as in maybe 4", enough to insert into the board
and leave widest ski-width exposed. I just hang the skis tip-up in
pairs (they're always clipped together anyway) between pairs of dowels,
and the poles just hang from their straps. Wouldn't hold a snowboard,
but I don't have any of those. Total cost was a few bucks. It's neither
high-tech nor fine woodworking, but it holds our skis (both downhill and
xcountry) and a bunch of poles quite nicely, and takes up minimal room
(zero in the garage, since it hangs in my 'office' :-) I think it took
about an hour to make.

simple is best- not looking for a showpiece, just need to recover some
space. The snowboards are a real PITA (to store as well as on the
slopes IMO) but this would work well for the skis. thanks for the
input.

mick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mick:

Growing up in Montreal with 5 skiers I can understand the problem. My
Dad solved it the same way the Dutch solved living on a canal barge -
think vertical! Anything you can get overhead, high enough to clear
your highest noggin, is out of the way. I have used, and currently
use, racks that sway up on simple bolt hinges mounted to the rafters.
Four 2X4 hangers and a hunk of rope can get a low hanging shelf up to
the garage ceiling with no strain if a pulley (or 2 or 3 as a
block-and-tackle if weight is an issue) is used and the stuff is out
of the way until needed. My 18' canoe hangs overhead in my garage
today, just to get it out of the way and keep from tying up space in
the yard. My fishing rods are up there too. The other side of the 2
car garage has a lumber rack suspended from the ceiling that drops
down to head height for access.

Regards.

Tom

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:19:50 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

The family XC and downhill skis are stored vertically along the garage
wall betwixt pairs of dowels driven into a 2x4 that's lagged to the
concrete wall. They stand on and on the inside of an "L" shaped toe
board screwed to the floor. The toe board keeps people's feet and other
things that roll around the floor from knocking into the skis. Poles
hand on the dowels. A bungee cord drawn across the width of the rack
keeps everything tight to the wall.

The snowboards hang suspended from the ceiling joists via bungees.

Easy in, easy out. Cheap and ugly. Just perfect for the garage.

J.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:40:59 -0500, "J."
wrote:

The family XC and downhill skis are stored vertically along the garage
wall betwixt pairs of dowels driven into a 2x4 that's lagged to the
concrete wall. They stand on and on the inside of an "L" shaped toe
board screwed to the floor. The toe board keeps people's feet and other
things that roll around the floor from knocking into the skis. Poles
hand on the dowels. A bungee cord drawn across the width of the rack
keeps everything tight to the wall.

The snowboards hang suspended from the ceiling joists via bungees.

Easy in, easy out. Cheap and ugly. Just perfect for the garage.

J.

Exactly what I'm after and pretty close to what I went with last night
except I more or less hung the skis between close-together pairs of
dowels and held all in place with a bungy cord. No toe board as the
ski lengths are all over the place with the kids' skis. Skis hang up
off of the floor and out of the way against the wall- quick and dirty
but effective, took longer to clear out a spot than it did to throw
together.

Still looking for a snowboard solution as I am out of wall and ceiling
space but I can probably live with leaning them into a corner and
moving them when required...

Thanks for the help.

mick
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

Hell - this one is easy. If it does not have a motor on it which produces
more than 120 HP, then its proper storage is out in a snowbank in the back
yard. For those ski things that meet the qualifications of greater than
120HP, then all forms of tender loving care are warranted, and authorized.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13/02/2007 2:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Hell - this one is easy. If it does not have a motor on it which produces
more than 120 HP, then its proper storage is out in a snowbank in the back
yard. For those ski things that meet the qualifications of greater than
120HP, then all forms of tender loving care are warranted, and authorized.

You've obviously never been in Resolute :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

If you've no choice but to stick them in a corner...

....one thing I've seen recently for (temporary) snowboard storage at a
local ski area was a circular piece of plywood mounted horizontally to a
vertical post sunk into the ground. The plywood had slits cut into it,
sort of like radii, at intervals. I fancy that this could be adapted to
a corner in the garage by making a "V"- or sector-shaped plywood cutout,
the edges of which would run along the adjoining wall faces. With a
slit, maybe two, you might get away with stowing your boards without too
much trouble, provided that the corner isn't used for much else. And
come to think of it, if you go vertical with these "V" shaped things,
you might get an upper and lower set of boards stowed.

J.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 12:19�pm, wrote:
[...]

1 - Get a ski bag for each pair of skis and poles.
2 - Give each family member their bag, and tell them to stick them in
a corner of their room.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like a good idea, but the problem I have is that my corners are
pretty much "used up" with other storage etc- every time I go into my
garage I regret not building another 12' wider and longer! (like
almost everyone else)

I did however find space in a shed to lash the boards to the trusses-
had to do some rearranging but it works nicely. The kids have been
skiing more than boarding this year (maybe there is hope for them
yet!) so it's a good compromise that I am happy with. At least I'm not
tripping over them any more.

thanks for the input.

mick

wrote:

[...]

How do electric ski boot warmers work? Toller Home Repair 1 November 9th 06 05:03 PM
Ski wax solvent Big Ron UK diy 8 January 2nd 06 11:47 PM
Storage heater problem [email protected] UK diy 2 November 30th 05 07:18 AM
Ski Tunes & other homophones Jay Pique Woodworking 12 March 3rd 05 10:08 PM
storage problem Dave Mitton Home Repair 3 July 20th 03 11:41 AM