Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne Doug Payne is offline

Default ski storage- anyone tackled this problem?

On 12/02/2007 12:19 PM, wrote:

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

My solution is an unfinished length of pine with a series of long dowels
spaced a couple of inches apart, hung more than longest ski-length
above the floor. Long as in maybe 4", enough to insert into the board
and leave widest ski-width exposed. I just hang the skis tip-up in
pairs (they're always clipped together anyway) between pairs of dowels,
and the poles just hang from their straps. Wouldn't hold a snowboard,
but I don't have any of those. Total cost was a few bucks. It's neither
high-tech nor fine woodworking, but it holds our skis (both downhill and
xcountry) and a bunch of poles quite nicely, and takes up minimal room
(zero in the garage, since it hangs in my 'office' :-) I think it took
about an hour to make.