Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Default ski storage- anyone tackled this problem?

The family XC and downhill skis are stored vertically along the garage
wall betwixt pairs of dowels driven into a 2x4 that's lagged to the
concrete wall. They stand on and on the inside of an "L" shaped toe
board screwed to the floor. The toe board keeps people's feet and other
things that roll around the floor from knocking into the skis. Poles
hand on the dowels. A bungee cord drawn across the width of the rack
keeps everything tight to the wall.

The snowboards hang suspended from the ceiling joists via bungees.

Easy in, easy out. Cheap and ugly. Just perfect for the garage.

J.

wrote:
Hi folks, just happened across this group and it looks like a heck of
a resource- lots of experience and skill represented in here, makes
for pretty interesting reading!

Anyhow, I'm pretty inexperienced with "finer" woodworking (although I
am learning as I go), but am handy with the more basic carpentry
stuff- built my house/garage etc but haven't really done much as far
as furniture etc goes. I have certainly "caught the bug" lately
though and have a few projects I want to tackle once the workload
calms down a bit!

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

thanks
mick in BC