Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom B Tom B is offline

Default ski storage- anyone tackled this problem?

Mick:

Growing up in Montreal with 5 skiers I can understand the problem. My
Dad solved it the same way the Dutch solved living on a canal barge -
think vertical! Anything you can get overhead, high enough to clear
your highest noggin, is out of the way. I have used, and currently
use, racks that sway up on simple bolt hinges mounted to the rafters.
Four 2X4 hangers and a hunk of rope can get a low hanging shelf up to
the garage ceiling with no strain if a pulley (or 2 or 3 as a
block-and-tackle if weight is an issue) is used and the stuff is out
of the way until needed. My 18' canoe hangs overhead in my garage
today, just to get it out of the way and keep from tying up space in
the yard. My fishing rods are up there too. The other side of the 2
car garage has a lumber rack suspended from the ceiling that drops
down to head height for access.

Regards.

Tom

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:19:50 -0800, wrote:

Hi folks, just happened across this group and it looks like a heck of
a resource- lots of experience and skill represented in here, makes
for pretty interesting reading!

Anyhow, I'm pretty inexperienced with "finer" woodworking (although I
am learning as I go), but am handy with the more basic carpentry
stuff- built my house/garage etc but haven't really done much as far
as furniture etc goes. I have certainly "caught the bug" lately
though and have a few projects I want to tackle once the workload
calms down a bit!

However, for this I need my garage back... It is now pretty much full
of ski gear, snowboard gear etc (there are 5 of us in the family who
ski and 2 of the 3 kids do both so it looks like a ski shop has
exploded in my shop). I was just wondering if anyone has tackled a
similar problem- I am looking for plans or ideas for storing
skis/poles etc, nothing too fancy, just functional- to store the gear
on "in-season". Has to be in my shop so space is an issue.

I have a few ideas of my own (basic rack) but am interested if maybe
anyone else has come up with a cool solution?

thanks
mick in BC