Dave Mitton

Default storage problem

"Tom" wrote:

I've got a storage problem. My roof is a hip style and is only about 3.5'
high at the ridge. And of course all the ducts and pipework run along the
ridges. So there is really no room anywhere for attic storage. Now, my
garage is attached to the house but not air-conditioned - no duct along the
ridge or anywhere. I thought I would install a pull down ladder and use what
little space I could for storage. Then it hit me. Why not tear out all of
the ceiling and leave the garage unfinished? Just throw a few pieces of
plywood up on the joists and use that for storage, as well as hang stuff
from them. Sounds like a good idea to me but I'm concerned I might be
overlooking something. And also, is there any problem with leaving that
portion exposed as far as the rest of the house goes? If you can picture it,
there would be a large obtuse triangle of attic space exposed to the garage.
(like the roof sides in Lincoln Logs)

TAI for any ideas

Tom

My garage loft area is exposed and connected to the otherwise inaccessible 8"
space over my family room. It's not a problem. All are unheated exterior, as
far as your house is concerned.

Dave.
jim

Tom wrote:

[...]

about 30 yrs. ago it started with a box of old electrical stuff, i put
it in the attic.. the the kids came along and their junk went up there
also, old baby bed, high chair, you know the stuff, then christmas
stuff, and other holiday stuff, then when my mother passed away some of
her furniture went up there.... and alot of boxed that were on the vcrs,
tvs, and other items we bought over the years, seemed like the boxes
were too good to throw away and what if the item broke and we had to
send it back to the factory..... well after 30 yrs. i now will need help
to get to the stuff and get it out of the attic. dont want to leave
that job to the heirs after i pass along... dont store anything in the
attic.. after alot of years the boxed you store the junk in will be
fallig apart and the other stuff will not be useful to anyone, so just
throw it away now and do yourself a favor.......
Tom Baker

"Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

Heat, humidity, and insects can be hard on stored stuff. Papers,
books, fabrics, and glued joints probably won't do well,

Tom Baker
Mike Columbo

"Tom" wrote in message
news
[...]

If you park your car in the garage
DO NOT leave the garage unfinished.
this would be a FIRE HAZARD.
make sure any wall ,ceiling or roof that adjoins the garage is fire
protected.

M.C.
somewhere in Ca.