Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WHY CONTRACTORS COST WHAT THEY DO

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
news

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

The weight - that's a clue. There was a stupid deduction for big
trucks - not sure if it was phased out. The law was purchased by the
auto industry. There may still be remnants of it.

Just got back from the tax lady. IRS Section 179 governs this, and it is
in full force and effect. It is not a new law, either. Of these things
I am "sure."

Steve

OK. I'm vague on this, but there was chatter about changing the tax law,
eliminating vehicles which are clearly recreational, only purchased by
neurosurgeons for their children. Like Hummers. It was the subject of lots
of buzz last year, when gas prices were ramping up.

That is why it is a good thing to go to a pro when you want reliable advice.
We only talk things here, and that from our memories. Mine is full of
holes, and not reliable. And I'm probably in the upper half.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:41:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
news

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

The weight - that's a clue. There was a stupid deduction for big trucks -
not sure if it was phased out. The law was purchased by the auto
industry. There may still be remnants of it.

Just got back from the tax lady. IRS Section 179 governs this, and it is
in full force and effect. It is not a new law, either. Of these things I
am "sure."

Huh.. lookit that.
It may be "not a new law', but's it's newer than my 3/4s of a
BS in accounting.

OK. I'm vague on this, but there was chatter about changing the tax law,
eliminating vehicles which are clearly recreational, only purchased by
neurosurgeons for their children. Like Hummers. It was the subject of lots
of buzz last year, when gas prices were ramping up.

You mean this part:
======================
You cannot elect to expense more than $25,000 of the cost of any heavy
sport utility vehicle (SUV) and certain other vehicles placed in
service in 2005. This rule applies to any 4-wheeled vehicle primarily
designed or used to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or
highways, that is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
and not more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. However, the
$25,000 limit does not apply to any vehicle:

Designed to seat more than nine passengers behind the driver's seat,

Equipped with a cargo area (either open or enclosed by a cap) of at
least six feet in interior length that is not readily accessible from
the passenger compartment, or

That has an integral enclosure fully enclosing the driver compartment
and load carrying device, does not have seating rearward of the
driver's seat, and has no body section protruding more than 30 inches
ahead of the leading edge of the windshield.
========================
The exceptions appear to be aimed at
school busses, box trucks, and commercial cargo vans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

My Bubba truck has the short bed, which is 6.5 feet inside. I guess it
qualifies.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

yeah, taxpayer subsidies. Real nice. Abuse the grey areas of the law, but
then again the loopholes were placed there to be used. Now if congress
would get off their collective butts and repeal the AMT!

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 14 Feb 2007 19:18:20 -0800, "Shaun Eli"
wrote:

Steve, there are a lot of books written that claim you can reduce or
eliminate your tax liability, and sometimes the authors of those books
go to jail.

Simply put, a business expense is a business expense if it's genuinely
used for business. About the only way you could legitimately write
off most of your restaurant meals is if you're a food critic.

If you don't use your truck 100% for business, you can write off only
the percentage of it that's business use-- and there are, I believe, a
couple of ways to do that. But you can't simply say "Gee, since
occasionally I drive around to inspect the properties I own, my truck
is 100% deductible."

You wouldn't be allowed to deduct the whole thing in
one year, anyway. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty
sure that vehicals depreciate over either 5 or 7 years.

I thought so, too. But last week, when we met, the CPA asked questions
about this previous year. One was if we had purchased a business vehicle
that was over 6,000# in weight. I, too, expected it to be depreciated.
We paid cash, so maybe that is the difference. As I said, we are leaving
in an hour or so to go pick up the papers, and I shall ask.

Perhaps it may help someone with their tax burden this year. That is, IF
anyone here (excluding the few open minded individuals we already know)
are interested in paying less in taxes. Legally, and not by evading, or
doing anything that the IRS would not normally allow.

Just the facts, Maam. And nothing against you, (for I know you are an
above average intelligence poster based on your past posts) but I hate
words like, "should", and "I'm pretty sure", and "maybe", especially when
applied in financial, medical, or critical situations.

I'll post this evening after my appointments are completed. Taxes .....
business ....... doctor ........ Oh, yeah. I may take my CPA to lunch.

Business, you know ............... ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Nathan" wrote in message
yeah, taxpayer subsidies. Real nice. Abuse the grey areas of the law,
but then again the loopholes were placed there to be used. Now if
congress would get off their collective butts and repeal the AMT!

Come on, you whining piece of dog excrement.

Come up with some logical arguments based in case law and statute.

Admit it.

You have no clue as to how things work.

All you can do is spout generalities about "loopholes",
"grey areas", and "ifs".

Just keep to the facts, and join the ongoing conversation.

And, oh, yeah, please stick to the conversation instead of taking off on
three dimensional tangents.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

haha too bad I don't give a damn about what you say. You show your low
level of education by trying to attack people that don't agree with you.
This country is based on freedom, go back to your communist homeland. It
sounds like you could use a good IRS audit to put you in your place.

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Nathan" wrote in message
yeah, taxpayer subsidies. Real nice. Abuse the grey areas of the law,
but then again the loopholes were placed there to be used. Now if
congress would get off their collective butts and repeal the AMT!

Come on, you whining piece of dog excrement.

Come up with some logical arguments based in case law and statute.

Admit it.

You have no clue as to how things work.

All you can do is spout generalities about "loopholes",
"grey areas", and "ifs".

Just keep to the facts, and join the ongoing conversation.

And, oh, yeah, please stick to the conversation instead of taking off on
three dimensional tangents.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Nathan" wrote in message
haha too bad I don't give a damn about what you say. You show your low
level of education by trying to attack people that don't agree with you.
This country is based on freedom, go back to your communist homeland. It
sounds like you could use a good IRS audit to put you in your place.

Too bad that your posts show your low level of education, also. Such as
your use of poor punctuation, grammar and capitalization.

I did go get my final taxes. I prepaid $7800 on January first,
anticipating that tax load. When I finally got the 32 page return, I had
overpaid nearly $3,000. My CPA also only charged me $975 for doing the
return instead of a higher anticipated cost.

I am not worried about an audit. My CPA is an ex-IRS employee, and does
everything by the book. Her bond and our professional contract insures that
she would bear the cost of any mistakes she makes.

I wish you well with your "engineer" career. You're going to need it with
your attitude. But, then, most engineers I have known have very poor social
skills, and ate lunch by themselves in a corner. So close minded that they
were social cripples.

Your comments on this country and your comments on others leads me to
believe that you are very uneducated about social studies and current
events. It also leads me to believe that you are somewhat of a racist.

You take care. And I hope you get to move out of your folks house soon.

Bye bye.

Plonk.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Nathan" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, I get audited every 3 years whether I need it or not. I have *NEVER*
had an audit come out where I owed the government money, they always owe me
a hundred bucks or so.
You got raped by your CPA.... When I have my taxes done, I show up with a
folder with my 1099s, W-2s, and a floppy disk. I pay around $100 to get mine
done.
Too bad your salary is so low... we can't help it if you don't get paid
enough.
*most* of us that are owners/techs get 3-5 credit hours of continuing
education every year. If your tech is not getting this additional training
and education, then you might look for one that IS getting it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Nathan" wrote in message
[...]

My return was 32 pages long, with special pages for interest income,
dividend income, royalty and rental income, and many for deductions.

My salary is purposely low because I get other things instead that I would
normally have to pay for with after tax dollars. Like fuel, meals, a new
truck, travel, "safety equipment", and other things that are deductible. My
salary is also low because I am 58 and fully retired. I enjoy a good
income, although it does not show on paper.

I believe $975 to my ex-IRS agent CPA to have me pay $4,800 taxes on $180k
gross was worth it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"DIDO" wrote in news:dKGBh.261$5F5.120@trnddc02:

http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

This is one response to your claim of unfair taxation.
Maybe you should read it again....

Assuming that there is 25% penalty and interest there, your $18,000 of tax
is a total of $300,000 in sales. If the penalty and interest are 50%,
you're looking at $12,000 in tax and $200,000 in sales. In either case, one
would think you'd be extremely careful about the dotting of the I's and the
crossing of the T's.

I suspect there is more to the story than you are presenting here.

In any event, bitching about your problems here won't help. Consult a local
CPA, EA or attorney about resolving your issues.

Then get solid accounting procedures in place to prevent this from
repeating
itself in the future.

--
Paul Thomas, CPA

--
Respectfully, Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"DIDO" wrote

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

I find it VERY hard to believe the government is picking on you.
You had income that you didn't pay taxes on.
If your story held any water, and your customers were to blame for
with-holding monies and falsely claiming tax excempt status, if this were
true, you'd be off the hook, or at the very least, they'd be in hot water
too.
No, I suspect the taxman has his OWN version of the story, quite different
than yours!
You want to live in America and reap the benifits of their infrastructure,
roads, sewers, waterlines,bridges, police and fire protection, military
shield, etc...etc..., then you have to pay your fair share like everyone
else...of course, you could always go back home where life is so much
better and more fair!

--
Respectfully, Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

DIDO inspired greatness with:

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

No entity is tax-exempt from the labor you provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Shinola" wrote in message
DIDO inspired greatness with:

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

No entity is tax-exempt from the labor you provide.

Really??
Are you absolutely sure about that??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"DIDO" wrote

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

Wouldn't hurt to pay a few bucks for an English teacher and proofreader
also.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Here, if they cannot provide me with an exemption letter from the state tax
commission, they get charged sales tax.
The only exemptions I have gotten so far have been a couple of churches, and
government agencies.

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
news
Depends on your state's laws. And whether they can provide an exempt
purchase certificate.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:26:35 -0600, Shinola wrote:

DIDO inspired greatness with:

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

No entity is tax-exempt from the labor you provide.

--
One should not act and speak as if one
were asleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
news
Depends on your state's laws. And whether they can provide an exempt
purchase certificate.

Sounds like things that a good contractor would learn on the path to
becoming a contractor.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
news
Depends on your state's laws. And whether they can provide an exempt
purchase certificate.

Some do but state say it is not valid according they findings
so what don't you go after them, hell no it is much easer
getting it from you because they don't want to deal with
corporate lawyers and they know if you hire one it
will cost you much more

Let me give you another example how some of things works
in this state of New Jersey.
Home Depot appliance store you go there and you purchase
let say stove. store will charge you for delivery, the charge
for delivery is sales tax exempt.
but if you charge for delivery of you service to your customer
that is not exempt from sales tax
so the service contractor becomes second class citizen
and must pay user tax on delivery charges.

I know that most of you guys don't charge for service delivery
but in my line of work we do charge per mile because always
distance is involve. when you think about it, it is some what
funny your vehicle and maintenance is IRS tax deductible
but your state user/sales tax it is not.
another scenario trucker can purchase truck with sales tax
exempt but we can not purchase our service van without
paying sales or user tax on it.
gentlemen there is lots of problems in our system.
and I am not knocking our country down but
it definitely needs some upgrade and yes you guys can make
the change if you keep sending legislature Email every day
not for me I am 68 years old I don't give heck one or the other
but the way they screwed me I will not take it laying down!

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:26:35 -0600, Shinola wrote:

DIDO inspired greatness with:

Check this out and I am paying my CPA $3000.00/ year
http://blog.myspace.com/tony1938

No entity is tax-exempt from the labor you provide.

--
One should not act and speak as if one
were asleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Feb 2007 13:04:22 -0800, "james" wrote:

When you can buy and install the components for $2500 that a
contractor normally charges over $10,000 for then the economics will
shift an increasing portion of HVAC to DIY. (Throw in $1000 for misc.
tools and supplies and it's still a huge savings).

The next phase will be when a manufacturer steps up and offers simple
lineset connections and strikes a deal with Home Depot and Lowes. (ie
precharged/no brazing needed)

In this thread contrractors do indeed need to make a living and what
they charge is the going rate. As a consumer I try to do as much as I
can as my income was always modest and every dollar counts. This NG
is an excellent forum to discuss and to evaluate if I can do the job
myself. The only subject I won't DIY is gas installations. But
anything that doesn't require fiddling with the gas supply and
connections itself is easy enough to do.

The argument here is its a natural conflict between the consumer and
the contractor that each needs to get the best bang for his buck. As
manufacturers improve their products for DIY consumers (1) contractors
will have to raise their prices for what work there remains. No one
should get hot under the collar when a contractor quotes a price way
out of what the consumer thinks it is worth. The alternative is
learn to do it yourself or get a friend to help out. If its something
that you cannot do, for example pour concrete, then you have to pay
the going rate.

(1) A excellent example of changing economics is computers and their
peripherals which are fairly big ticket items. But who repairs them
any more? Just a very few such business are left and their bread and
butter is mostly board and parts swapping for which they have to
charge rates that often make it worthwhile to just buy a new and
better unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:39:55 -0500, Steve Scott
wrote:

Dang, Dido, but it's hard to make sense out of what you're trying to
say, but I'll give it a go.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:13:54 GMT, "DIDO" wrote:

[...]

You don't pay the tax, your clients do. HD is delivering a product,
I'm not sure what business you're in other than it's not HVAC, but
presumably it's some sort of service field. If that's the case you're
providing a service vs a product.

I know that most of you guys don't charge for service delivery
but in my line of work we do charge per mile because always
distance is involve. when you think about it, it is some what
funny your vehicle and maintenance is IRS tax deductible
but your state user/sales tax it is not.

Unless you have a completely incompetent accountant sales tax you
collect from you clients and pass along to your state is deductible
from your business gross sales.

another scenario trucker can purchase truck with sales tax
exempt but we can not purchase our service van without
paying sales or user tax on it.

So, there's another expense you have to pass along.

gentlemen there is lots of problems in our system.
and I am not knocking our country down but
it definitely needs some upgrade and yes you guys can make
the change if you keep sending legislature Email every day
not for me I am 68 years old I don't give heck one or the other
but the way they screwed me I will not take it laying down!

I don't think it fair that every owner of a vehicle has to pay sales
tax on it. By that I mean, every time a specific vehicle is sold,
first as new and then every subsequent sale as a used vehicle, the new
purchaser must pay sales tax on it.

I don't think it's fair I have to pay sales tax on state and federal
taxes on tires, or fuel, or any one of probably hundreds of items that
have sales tax charged on other taxes. That's life.

And it's not a problem with the country, it's
a problem with your state. Gotta blame the right people.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

[...]

You right Steve but there is problem there all my work is
done through or by purchase orders some co. issued
PO's before you start to work and some issue PO's
after work is done after I look over PO's I will go back
to them and say hey you did not includ tax in it
they respouns is we are paying state dirctly we do not
isue resale's tax certificate, however they do put on
they PO's we are exempt from sales tax with thier resale
number and that are paying state directly,
however State audit say hell no they are not exempt
you are paying tax for them.
end of story.

Work I do is industrial Refrigeration Laboratory type
cooling or heating systems -65 to +150 C.
some to -100 C no to often
Humidities 5% to 98% RH.
Repair, Refurbish, Retrofit, Modify,
Calibration with Traceability to NIST.
www.cas-environ.com

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

news
wrote:

[...]

I know you like to believe that but now state of NY
is after me to pay franchise tax because I make
some service call in to NY
No time got go

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"DIDO" wrote in message

[...]

A simple statement on their PO is *NOT* sufficient for the tax commission,
you have to have a copy of the *state issued* tax exemption certificate. If
it helps, figure the sales tax into your quote as a seperate line item.
Specify on the quote that if they cannot provide you with a copy of their
*state issued* tax exemption certificate, that they *WILL* pay the tax as
per the quote. If they can't handle that, then you don't need to be doing
business with crooks.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Goedjn,
McDonalds' 2006 4th Quarter Report showed a 22% Net Profit **AFTER TAXES**
on 5.6 BILLION dollars sales for 3 months. What contractor of any size does
22% net profit? No, better yet who in the **** does 22% net profit **AFTER
TAXES**?

See it for yourself at:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...D&stmtView=Qtr

Jabs

"Goedjn" wrote:

Different goals. Mcdonalds is prepared to grow infinately.
Many contractors are perfectly happy with a 3-year backlog
of jobs for them and whatever size crew they're comfortable
managing. Not everyone wants to be multinational.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Feb 22, 5:54 pm, "Jabs" wrote:
Goedjn,
McDonalds' 2006 4th Quarter Report showed a 22% Net Profit **AFTER TAXES**
on 5.6 BILLION dollars sales for 3 months. What contractor of any size does
22% net profit? No, better yet who in the **** does 22% net profit **AFTER
TAXES**?

Since McDonalds isn't a contractor but mainly a franchisor, it's
meaningless to compare their margins to that of a contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Shaun,
You're right.....and besides, HVAC contractors are too ****ing stupid to be
compared with burger flippers.

Jabs

"Shaun Eli" wrote:

Since McDonalds isn't a contractor but mainly a franchisor, it's
meaningless to compare their margins to that of a contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 22, 5:54 pm, "Jabs" wrote:
Goedjn,
McDonalds' 2006 4th Quarter Report showed a 22% Net Profit **AFTER
TAXES**
on 5.6 BILLION dollars sales for 3 months. What contractor of any size
does
22% net profit? No, better yet who in the **** does 22% net profit
**AFTER
TAXES**?

Since McDonalds isn't a contractor but mainly a franchisor, it's
meaningless to compare their margins to that of a contractor.

Shaun,
Your right... I must be screwing up somewhere, my net pre-tax profit was
only 47% for 2006. I guess I just didn't charge enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Steve,
I bet you pay your employees **** for wages too, huh?

Jabs

"Noon-Air" wrote:

Shaun,
Your right... I must be screwing up somewhere, my net pre-tax profit was
only 47% for 2006. I guess I just didn't charge enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any tricks for getting "contractor" discount on supplies

trainfan1 wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I saw this thread from over a year ago. It brought up some issues.

Why are so many of the contractors upset that DIY customers *MIGHT*
get their precious contractor discount?

Just go to the county office building & file a d/b/a "Nathan's
Construction".

There. Now you are a contractor. Go to Lowes & get the 50% off.

Rob

So...

How's that all working out?

Rob