Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Nathan Nathan is offline

Default WHY CONTRACTORS COST WHAT THEY DO

yeah, taxpayer subsidies. Real nice. Abuse the grey areas of the law, but
then again the loopholes were placed there to be used. Now if congress
would get off their collective butts and repeal the AMT!

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 14 Feb 2007 19:18:20 -0800, "Shaun Eli"
wrote:

Steve, there are a lot of books written that claim you can reduce or
eliminate your tax liability, and sometimes the authors of those books
go to jail.

Simply put, a business expense is a business expense if it's genuinely
used for business. About the only way you could legitimately write
off most of your restaurant meals is if you're a food critic.

If you don't use your truck 100% for business, you can write off only
the percentage of it that's business use-- and there are, I believe, a
couple of ways to do that. But you can't simply say "Gee, since
occasionally I drive around to inspect the properties I own, my truck
is 100% deductible."

You wouldn't be allowed to deduct the whole thing in
one year, anyway. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty
sure that vehicals depreciate over either 5 or 7 years.

I thought so, too. But last week, when we met, the CPA asked questions
about this previous year. One was if we had purchased a business vehicle
that was over 6,000# in weight. I, too, expected it to be depreciated.
We paid cash, so maybe that is the difference. As I said, we are leaving
in an hour or so to go pick up the papers, and I shall ask.

Perhaps it may help someone with their tax burden this year. That is, IF
anyone here (excluding the few open minded individuals we already know)
are interested in paying less in taxes. Legally, and not by evading, or
doing anything that the IRS would not normally allow.

Just the facts, Maam. And nothing against you, (for I know you are an
above average intelligence poster based on your past posts) but I hate
words like, "should", and "I'm pretty sure", and "maybe", especially when
applied in financial, medical, or critical situations.

I'll post this evening after my appointments are completed. Taxes .....
business ....... doctor ........ Oh, yeah. I may take my CPA to lunch.

Business, you know ............... ;-)

Steve