Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default WHY CONTRACTORS COST WHAT THEY DO

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:39:55 -0500, Steve Scott
wrote:

Dang, Dido, but it's hard to make sense out of what you're trying to
say, but I'll give it a go.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:13:54 GMT, "DIDO" wrote:

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
news
Depends on your state's laws. And whether they can provide an exempt
purchase certificate.

Some do but state say it is not valid according they findings
so what don't you go after them, hell no it is much easer
getting it from you because they don't want to deal with
corporate lawyers and they know if you hire one it
will cost you much more

Let me give you another example how some of things works
in this state of New Jersey.
Home Depot appliance store you go there and you purchase
let say stove. store will charge you for delivery, the charge
for delivery is sales tax exempt.
but if you charge for delivery of you service to your customer
that is not exempt from sales tax
so the service contractor becomes second class citizen
and must pay user tax on delivery charges.

You don't pay the tax, your clients do. HD is delivering a product,
I'm not sure what business you're in other than it's not HVAC, but
presumably it's some sort of service field. If that's the case you're
providing a service vs a product.

I know that most of you guys don't charge for service delivery
but in my line of work we do charge per mile because always
distance is involve. when you think about it, it is some what
funny your vehicle and maintenance is IRS tax deductible
but your state user/sales tax it is not.

Unless you have a completely incompetent accountant sales tax you
collect from you clients and pass along to your state is deductible
from your business gross sales.

another scenario trucker can purchase truck with sales tax
exempt but we can not purchase our service van without
paying sales or user tax on it.

So, there's another expense you have to pass along.

gentlemen there is lots of problems in our system.
and I am not knocking our country down but
it definitely needs some upgrade and yes you guys can make
the change if you keep sending legislature Email every day
not for me I am 68 years old I don't give heck one or the other
but the way they screwed me I will not take it laying down!

I don't think it fair that every owner of a vehicle has to pay sales
tax on it. By that I mean, every time a specific vehicle is sold,
first as new and then every subsequent sale as a used vehicle, the new
purchaser must pay sales tax on it.

I don't think it's fair I have to pay sales tax on state and federal
taxes on tires, or fuel, or any one of probably hundreds of items that
have sales tax charged on other taxes. That's life.

And it's not a problem with the country, it's
a problem with your state. Gotta blame the right people.