Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door chime question

I have an electric door chime that plays songs.

I recently changed the outside bar you push. The new bar did not have a
resistor (I think that was what it is) across the two screws.

I pushed the bar, and the chime would only play as long as you held in the
bar. I put the resistor on the new bar from the old one, same thing.

Anyone know what I can do to get this to play the whole song with one single
push of the bar?

About the only thing I didn't do is reverse the resistor (?) and try that.
But would that make a difference?

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending on
how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I have an electric door chime that plays songs.

I recently changed the outside bar you push. The new bar did not have a
resistor (I think that was what it is) across the two screws.

I pushed the bar, and the chime would only play as long as you held in the
bar. I put the resistor on the new bar from the old one, same thing.

Anyone know what I can do to get this to play the whole song with one single
push of the bar?

About the only thing I didn't do is reverse the resistor (?) and try that.
But would that make a difference?

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending on
how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi,
Are you sure it is a resistor? It could be a TD relay of sort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Looks like a resistor. Wire in, wire out, about 1/8" diameter body, but
only about 1/8" to 3/16" body length. Not sure about the color bands, would
have to go pull it tomorrow to see if it does have color bands indicating
resistance rating.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

[snip]

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending
on how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi,
Are you sure it is a resistor? It could be a TD relay of sort.

Looks like a resistor. Wire in, wire out, about 1/8" diameter body, but
only about 1/8" to 3/16" body length. Not sure about the color bands, would
have to go pull it tomorrow to see if it does have color bands indicating
resistance rating.

It could be a diode. ISTR some chimes use them.
If it has a single band at one end, that's
likely what it is.

HTH
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:14:20 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have an electric door chime that plays songs.

I recently changed the outside bar you push. The new bar did not have a
resistor (I think that was what it is) across the two screws.

I pushed the bar, and the chime would only play as long as you held in the
bar. I put the resistor on the new bar from the old one, same thing.

Anyone know what I can do to get this to play the whole song with one single
push of the bar?

About the only thing I didn't do is reverse the resistor (?) and try that.
But would that make a difference?

I hope not, or I learned things wrong. ....unless it's a diode and
not a resistor. Any chance of that?

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending on
how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

without your purchase of an inexpensive multimeter, i don't know how
to suggest you test this item. is it possible that the old button
opened instead of closed the circuit to start the music and the
resistor held power to the device to play the music followed by
standby mode? simple answers: a resistor has no polarity it is a 2-way
street; a diode has polarity, it is a one-way street.
here's the who/what/where/when/why/how to stimulate further
exploration of your question.
who/[you]
what/was this a repair of a problem? what symptom were you repairing?
are there any batteries involved in the chime? any batteries in the
transmitter button? is the
button lighted when pushed/not pushed?
where/country and voltage used at device? wired or wireless doorbell?
how many wires? is there an intercom related to this device on these
wires?
when/was this manufactured or installed?
why/was there a malfunction to begin with? was this device working
before you changed it?
is it possible that an original higher voltage transformer requires a
dropping or holding resistor or diode to install the the newer device
requiring a different voltage?
here's a schematic of someone's homemade doorbell:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/birdie.htm
see also wikipedia.
see also:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/doorbell.htm/printable
for an incredible FAQ see Troubleshooting and Repair of Consumer
Electronics Equipment at:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_tshoot.html
"For example, I was able to quickly identify the trigger transistor of
in a
wireless door bell by using my finger to locate the point that
caused the
chimes to sound. This quickly confirmed that the problem was in
the RF
front end or decoder and not the audio circuitry."

On Jan 27, 10:14 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have an electric door chime that plays songs.

I recently changed the outside bar you push. The new bar did not have a
resistor (I think that was what it is) across the two screws.

I pushed the bar, and the chime would only play as long as you held in the
bar. I put the resistor on the new bar from the old one, same thing.

Anyone know what I can do to get this to play the whole song with one single
push of the bar?

About the only thing I didn't do is reverse the resistor (?) and try that.
But would that make a difference?

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending on
how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
without your purchase of an inexpensive multimeter, i don't know how
to suggest you test this item. is it possible that the old button
opened instead of closed the circuit to start the music and the
resistor held power to the device to play the music followed by
standby mode? simple answers: a resistor has no polarity it is a 2-way
street; a diode has polarity, it is a one-way street.

Other stuff snipped.

The plastic portion of the bar you pushed had broken due to age. I put in
the electronic component as the other one came out. I will be working in
that area today, and am going to take it out again, and reverse it, and see
what happens. I will see what the readings are on it, as I have a tester.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a diode, I have an old DAK unit that plays 40 songs, make sure
the diode is making good contact on the screws. I forget if it
matters which way, since it is ac voltage to start with, I do not
think so. But when the diode is not connected - you get that issue.
I have an electric door chime that plays songs.

I recently changed the outside bar you push. The new bar did not have a
resistor (I think that was what it is) across the two screws.

I pushed the bar, and the chime would only play as long as you held in the
bar. I put the resistor on the new bar from the old one, same thing.

Anyone know what I can do to get this to play the whole song with one single
push of the bar?

About the only thing I didn't do is reverse the resistor (?) and try that.
But would that make a difference?

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two depending on
how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door chime question/ the end

Thanks to those who helped. I went out and reversed the diode today, and it
worked perfectly the first time.

I think it is a diode rather than a resistor because it only has one silver
color band on it, and IIRC, resistors have at least two color bands. The
length of the "barrel" part is only about its diameter.

Anyway, if the polarity of the component was the problem, reversing it fixed
it. If it just wasn't getting contact, then redoing it made contact. The
question of polarity is not relative once it works. I didn't want to double
test it, because I learned that when you get it working, LEAVE IT ALONE.

A veterinarian friend of mine said something that they told him in vet
school. "Better is the enemy of good. If you've done something of a good
quality, leave it alone, and don't try to make it better."

Anyway, "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home" now plays start
to finish with one jab on the new door bell bar.

Thanks again.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm glad you got it working. Now here's my question, which kind of
relates to your "good enough" theory:

Why does anyone need more than a simple Ding-Dong to know if someone
is at the door?

In fact, our chimer went from Ding-Dong to just Dong many, many years
ago. I never saw any sense in spending money to fix it. Everytime
someone comes to the door and rings the bell, we know it. It's always
been "good enough".

Partly kidding, but mostly serious.

On Jan 28, 5:50 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

In fact, our chimer went from Ding-Dong to just Dong many, many years
ago. I never saw any sense in spending money to fix it. Everytime
someone comes to the door and rings the bell, we know it. It's always
been "good enough".

Wow, you have the luxury model. Ours has not worked at all for 20 years.
If you come to the front door and ring the bell, I probably don't want to
see you anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:44:24 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

In fact, our chimer went from Ding-Dong to just Dong many, many years
ago. I never saw any sense in spending money to fix it. Everytime
someone comes to the door and rings the bell, we know it. It's always
been "good enough".

Wow, you have the luxury model. Ours has not worked at all for 20 years.
If you come to the front door and ring the bell, I probably don't want to
see you anyway.

I'm the other way. I have so few friends I desperately need to talk
to anyone who comes to the door.

When I spent a lot of time in the baseent, I added a bell there, and
when I got hooked on the computer, I connected a wireless doorbell
transmitter to the current doorbell system, and put a
receiver/noisemaker upstairs.

My bells only go ding dong, but I can understand the OP. In my car I
used to have airhorns, aaoogah, and the original horns, and switches
to go from one to the other. The current car has no room under the
hood for such things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[snip]

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just
have to stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or
two depending on how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi,
Are you sure it is a resistor? It could be a TD relay of sort.

Looks like a resistor. Wire in, wire out, about 1/8" diameter body,
but only about 1/8" to 3/16" body length. Not sure about the color
bands, would have to go pull it tomorrow to see if it does have color
bands indicating resistance rating.

It could be a diode. ISTR some chimes use them.
If it has a single band at one end, that's
likely what it is.

HTH

Hi,
If a diode, usually black body color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 5:50 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Our chime plays Westminster bell. It is old electro/mechanical rotary
gong with this multiple tuned pipes hanging down. Front door, back
door, side door all plays different tune. Been with my family almost
half a century(sounds better than 50 years, LOL). I take it with me when
we move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote

If a diode, usually black body color.

Yup. Black barrel body, short in length, and one silver band.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm glad you got it working. Now here's my question, which kind of
relates to your "good enough" theory:

Why does anyone need more than a simple Ding-Dong to know if someone
is at the door?

In fact, our chimer went from Ding-Dong to just Dong many, many years
ago. I never saw any sense in spending money to fix it. Everytime
someone comes to the door and rings the bell, we know it. It's always
been "good enough".

Partly kidding, but mostly serious.

Hell if I know. This was in the house when I got here, and according to the
good/better thing, why would I change it as long as it's free and working?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

In fact, our chimer went from Ding-Dong to just Dong many, many years
ago. I never saw any sense in spending money to fix it. Everytime
someone comes to the door and rings the bell, we know it. It's always
been "good enough".

Wow, you have the luxury model. Ours has not worked at all for 20 years.
If you come to the front door and ring the bell, I probably don't want to
see you anyway.

Actually, only Mormon missionaries and process servers come to that door.
Everyone else knows how to go through the garage or through the side gate.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have to
stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two
depending on how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi,
Are you sure it is a resistor? It could be a TD relay of sort.

Looks like a resistor. Wire in, wire out, about 1/8" diameter body, but
only about 1/8" to 3/16" body length. Not sure about the color bands,
would have to go pull it tomorrow to see if it does have color bands
indicating resistance rating.

If it's a diode, it matters which way around it's installed.

BTW, what was wrong with the old button (and have you tried putting it back
to see if that fixes things) ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
The chime plays fine, and will play the whole tune, but you just have
to stand there and hold it, or it only plays the first note or two
depending on how long the person holds the button down for.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Hi,
Are you sure it is a resistor? It could be a TD relay of sort.

Looks like a resistor. Wire in, wire out, about 1/8" diameter body, but
only about 1/8" to 3/16" body length. Not sure about the color bands,
would have to go pull it tomorrow to see if it does have color bands
indicating resistance rating.

If it's a diode, it matters which way around it's installed.

BTW, what was wrong with the old button (and have you tried putting it
back to see if that fixes things) ?

I discovered that I had replaced the diode in reverse. I reversed it, and
it works perfectly now. The problem with the old one was that the plastic
bar had died.

Steve

old door chime tony c Home Repair 1 June 18th 06 04:01 PM
Buzzing / Vibrating door bell chime?? Oren Home Repair 4 June 17th 06 04:17 PM
Chime in - this 'l be fun! XTC86 Home Ownership 3 July 21st 05 12:19 AM
Wire Two Chime in Parallel Mo Thanku UK diy 51 January 9th 05 11:30 PM
Wanted - a louder door chime Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 5 September 5th 04 11:01 PM