Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Door chime question

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
without your purchase of an inexpensive multimeter, i don't know how
to suggest you test this item. is it possible that the old button
opened instead of closed the circuit to start the music and the
resistor held power to the device to play the music followed by
standby mode? simple answers: a resistor has no polarity it is a 2-way
street; a diode has polarity, it is a one-way street.

Other stuff snipped.

The plastic portion of the bar you pushed had broken due to age. I put in
the electronic component as the other one came out. I will be working in
that area today, and am going to take it out again, and reverse it, and see
what happens. I will see what the readings are on it, as I have a tester.

STeve