Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:
My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

I love my Milwaukee hammer drill and can reccomend it. I also have a
cordless Bosch 24V hammer drill, it is OK. I advise buying a corded
hammer drill before considering the numerous cordless options. Many
companies make a well built drill but Milwaukee has been the standard
bearer for many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

I have seem the Hilti mentioned on this forum before but I don't see it
anywhere else. Who stocks and sells them ????

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Dewalt is worth looking at, also. (I'm not disagreeing with the other
posters.)

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=228305

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I've had Hilti's that I liked a lot, but to expensive. I use a Bosch now
that works well and wasn't to expensive

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Dec 2006 15:12:13 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

badgolferman wrote:
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

I have seem the Hilti mentioned on this forum before but I don't see it
anywhere else. Who stocks and sells them ????

Saw a Hilti sales area at a home depot. Call ahead before going.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "CWLee" who stated:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

I have a Bosch. I've NEVER been disappointed with any Bosch power
tool.
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammer Drill-Part 2

Originally I wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't

know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Yes! Go one step better, and buy a small rotohammer with the SDS bits.
Fergeddabout HILTI, as those bits will cost waaaaaaaaaaay more than they are
worth. SDS are available everywhere, and at a fraction of the cost.
Fraction as in 1/3, 1/4, 1/5.

A small rotohammer, like a Milwaukee with a decent capacity should run you
around $200, IIRC. Maybe even more like $150. Tons of difference when push
comes to shove and you have to drill 50 half inch holes in 5 sack mix.
Everything less cuts like warm butter.

DO NOT get the cordless. You want a workhorse, and batteries won't cut it,
and they are very spendy to replace.

Overbuy on this one for the times when a rotohammer outdistances a hammer
drill like a dragster leaves a Volkswagen. It has to do with the
hammering/rotating pattern/sequence of a rotohammer versus a hammer drill.

Hilti is a quality product, but why go spend $50 on a bit you can buy in SDS
for $15 at the Borg?

Take it from me. I was a steel erection contractor, and burned many a hole
in the hard hard concrete of government projects before I ever became aware
of the difference between a rotohammer and a hammer drill. I had a Makita
hammer drill, and thought it was hot stuff. Yes, it was a good hammer
drill, but not against hard concrete or aggregate. A contractor lent me his
Milwaukee Blackhawk (?) or something like that, and what took five minutes
of sweating with the Makita took thirty seconds with the rotohammer. A
hammer drill will eventually go through hard aggregate, or burn up the bit.
A rotohammer will fracture hard aggregate and concrete easily, using
percussion instead of high speed carbide cutting. I have pulled red hot
bits out of concrete with a hammer drill.

Let us know how it goes.

You asked for advice, and that's what I'd buy and why.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

Hilti rapes you on the bits.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
harborfreight.com has them for $24 They are as good as any other and
cheaper

Unless, of course, you are actually going to use the thing. In which case,
the cheapo variety will burn out/wear out instantly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Heres the link

CWLee wrote:
My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

I've owed the Harbor Freight hammer drill for nearly two years.
I use it every week or so and am very happy with it. I even use
it for driving screws. Can't beat the price -- even if it dies tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:
Originally I wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)

Well I don't know what he is going to be doing with it so I can only suggest
what I know. I use it for 3/32 adn 3/16 inch bits and I bought the cheapo
from Menards for $29.99 with a three year replacement gaurantee. I did have
to take the first one back after 6 months the switch didn't turn off any
more I had to plug unplug until I could get to the store and exchange it. I
took it back to Menards and left the drill and reciept at the exchange
counter went to the tool department and brought the same one back to the
exchange desk and they looked at the model number and said OK and handed me
my reciept and the box and off I went. The new unit has been flawless for
what I do with it. I just use small Tap-Con screws in concrete to hold
shelves and when I was doing my basement the sill plates. The unit is 1/3 hp
and has a keyed chuck and can be used as a normal drill by sliding a lever
over to non impact, that is handy as well as this is my only corded drill so
I can use it for other things as well. So that might be a feature to look
for as well???

Good luck, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:56:28 -0800, "CWLee"
wrote:

Originally I wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't

know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)

My chicago cheapo broke after one year and no longer hammers, but it
still drills just fine. It sound like the cheapest one you find at
home depot will work for him just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Originally I wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't

know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)

so what does he expect to use it for? for sinking the occasional tapcon for a shelf or something like that, a little hammer drill is fine. if he is drilling in lots of 5/8" expansion bolts into concrete (like hanging a deck ledger) , then he might like a bigger rotohammer with a sds shank. up a step and you can get a rotohammer that both drills concrete and hammers for light demo. finally, if he needs to drill holes 1" plus through foundation walls, you better get the hilti. so we don't really know what he needs it for.

I have used a number of brands...Hilti, Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee.
other than the Hilti, which is a cut above, but expensive, none of the
others really stand out. they all work. I don't think you should get
a really cheap one though--that's just an insult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"CWLee" wrote in message

[...]

I have to agree. If his son is an amateur handyman he should already have a
hammer drill. A roto hammer is the way to go and the 1" SDS roto hammer at
Harborfreight is cheaper than most name brand hammer drills. I bought one as
a throw away toy for couple of projects but it lasted over two years and
still going strong. The Harborfreight drill through 7" 40 year old very hard
concrete to sink in a fence post. Only thing I could not do was bust out the
concrete (don't think the Hilti could do either), had to bring in my jack
hammer.

If money is no object than a Hilti or a Milwaukee. If he wants
top-of-the-line cordless hammer drill, check out Panasonic:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY69...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi

The Rigid cordless hammer drill have a lifetime warranty including the power
pack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

Originally I wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't

know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)

I was going to skip this thread based on the number of replies until I saw
your second post.

It really depends on what he wants to do with it. I have a 3/8" chuck
Makita that I bought 10 years ago for way too much money. It does a
wonderful job for 1/4" or smaller holes. I keep it on the truck for use as
needed in commercial jobs or basements when I need to make a small hole in
concrete or block. Excellent for tapcon screws or anchors.

Last year I bought a Harbor Freight roto-hammer for making larger holes when
I needed to make some bigger holes. I paid about 1/2 what I paid for the
Makita. Excellent for 3/8-1" holes in brick, concrete or block.

Both tools are designed to do different jobs. They both do their "proper"
job well.

Stay away from battery power. They just won't do the job. I use a battery
model all day every day for drilling and screwing. I would never use one
for hammer drilling.

Corded and small any name brand variable speed should be fine for normal
anchoring in concrete, brick or block.

Holes for rebar or water lines through brick, block or concrete you need a
roto-hammer spline type bit with the low rpm motor. For occasional use a
$60, on sale, model will work just fine. For everyday use you are looking
at several hundred dollars.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thus spake CWLee:

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent concensus) but
nothing has been said about size/type/style. (Other than to suggest avoiding
a battery pack model.) Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be
surprised if there is not at least a size variation - either in the size of
the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

It's not easy to recommend a size/type/style without knowing what he's going
to use it for.

I bought a (cord-type) Makita drill/hammer drill that is the size of a normal
drill, with a 5/8-inch keyless chuck. It works fine for drilling in concrete
and cinder block for placing anchors and such. I think it was about $80 at
Home Depot about 2 years ago.

These are the closest things I can find on their web site:

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=HP1620F

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=HP2050F

The difference seems to be the former is a 9/16 inch chuck, ligher-weight
design with plastic housing (which has been fully strong enough for any task
I've thrown it at), maybe appropriate for handyman. The latter is larger in
chuck (3/4 inch) and uses steel as the front end of the body, making it a bit
more durable.

HD has these 2 listed on their web site, which doesn't mean they are in
inventory locally, however...

http://tinyurl.com/yxk9n3

Happy Holidays!
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thus spake CWLee:

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.
(Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.)
Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised
if there is not at least a size variation - either in the
size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.

Whatever you decide to buy, when it comes to gifts, I look for a retailer
that will offer a cash-refund or exchange. That way you can give your son
what you think -- after your extensive research has found (c: -- a good
purchase, and if he finds he needs more he can leverage your gift to buy
"more drill".

Enjoy,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.home.repair

So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent
concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style.

I tend to overbuy for those times when you actually do need to use that
biggest size. Now, that said, you don't have to go out and buy a $900
rotohammer that will also demo concrete unless you think he will use it for
that.

That is the thing about SDS bits. One size fits into the receiver, and the
tips are the variable part of it. That also being said, you obviously can't
use regular masonry drill bits in it like you would a hammer drill. They
won't go into the SDS receptacle.

If it was me, I would prefer a drill and a rotohammer. A hammer drill will
give you a drill, and a hammer drill, but it won't handle some of the tough
hard stuff.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:59:21 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
harborfreight.com has them for $24 They are as good as any other and
cheaper

Unless, of course, you are actually going to use the thing. In which case,
the cheapo variety will burn out/wear out instantly.

But isn't "instant" a good thing. So many ads for so many things
mention "instant".

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

Hilti rapes you on the bits.

Steve

Not if you're using them for professional use where time and reliability
= money. The only complaint I've ever heard about Hilti is the price.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message

[...]

Not sure what you mean about Hilti and bits? Most every Hilti rotary
hammer of remotely recent vintage uses SDS or SDS plus bits.

You can use top of the line Hilti bits that will outlast you, or you can
use cheapo SDS bits from Depot or Lowe's that might last a couple
projects.

You can use a top of the line Hilti rotary hammer that will outlast you,
or you can use a cheapo rotary hammer from Harbor Freight that might
last a couple projects.

In between the extremes there are midrange bits and drills that are
probably the best bet for the average user. Hilti if you make your
living from it, Harbor Freight if it's a one time project and Bosch,
Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt for in between.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message

[...]

On second thought, forget Harbor Freight for a one time project, just
rent a Hilti from Depot for the day.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

Hilti rapes you on the bits.

Steve

Not if you're using them for professional use where time and reliability
= money. The only complaint I've ever heard about Hilti is the price.

Pete C.

Not just the price of the drill/rotohammer, but the price of the proprietary
bits, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message

[...]

In current English, EXACT -a - mundo.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

HILTI

Hilti rapes you on the bits.

Steve

Not if you're using them for professional use where time and reliability
= money. The only complaint I've ever heard about Hilti is the price.

Pete C.

Not just the price of the drill/rotohammer, but the price of the proprietary
bits, too.

Steve

When was the last time you used a Hilti? They all use SDS or SDS plus
these days.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

Lemme see ........................ about 1995. At that time, I investigated
getting one, as the one I had loaned to me worked so well.

But the bits were spendy.

If they have changed, and now use the SDS bits, then I say that's good. The
Hilti brand is a great brand. A quality piece of machinery.

Sorry, but I don't keep up on every element of the human experience, and may
have overlooked this one, too.

But the caveat to the OP remains. Buy one that takes SDS bits, and you
won't have to spend as much. Hilti or Itlih.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In 1985, my boss had a Makita hammer drill. It was about $270, so I
saved my pennies and bought one like it. Since then, I've seldom used
the hammer drill feature. But, I've used it for a lot of years,
installing deadbolts and other locks. And odd jobs around the house.

Then, in 2005 my new boss has a SDS drill that does also straight in
and out hammer. So he can use it for flat chisel, also. That comes in
handy to make holes through cement walls to run HVAC ducting.

I'm with the other guys -- get a 110 volt cord model. For home use, a
cord is perfectly fine. Portable cordless is only needed occasionally,
and then it's far more expensive for batteries and chargers.

I havn't used Harbor Freight's Chicago line of drills, but their
impact wrench $39.99 on sale, has worked well for me. The four or five
times I've used it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.